Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Glossometer !

Posted by Eric Brandenburg 
Glossometer !
August 12, 2004 09:41PM
<HTML>Bud, Ketch and others how much are they and where do you buy one. If they are too awful expensive detail shop could probably use one. Could be a good tool to use to show the customer.

Its a shame there isn't a thickness meter that you could get to see when the sealant ,wax, or paint protectant is truly gone,and the vehicle is ready for another coat of protectant. This would surely seperate the Men from the 3-4-5 year protectant packages!................ Brandy !</HTML>
Re: Glossometer !
August 12, 2004 10:42PM
<HTML> Brandy : If memory ( mine, not the computer's ) serves, Bud said in a previous post that the Glossometer sells for 2,500 dollars, and he asked how many you wanted.

On wax scams : They said on a T.V. Magazine program that " Auri " was demonstrated on an infomercial by setting lighter fluid on fire on the hood of a Rolls Royce. They had secretly used 8 coats of Auri on the hood and had prudently used a rented Rolls Royce. The owners of the car said the paint was damaged but you couldn't see the damage on T.V.
I tried Auri and it had no durability ( in my opinion ).
Doug</HTML>
August 13, 2004 01:16AM
<HTML>Don't know what to look for in one, but there is one on ebay right now:

[cgi.ebay.com];

David
August 13, 2004 02:24AM
<HTML>Just some insight on those "demonstrations" they do with those products. The lighter fluid demonstration fails to use simple common sense that HEAT RISES. The surface of the paint will definitely become hot but in the short time they have the fluid burning it won't do any damage. I also seem to remember them dropping some acid on the paint and it reacting violently and smoking etc... What they don't show ou is the guy spray some ammonia on th paint first which neutralizes the acid and causes the reaction and rendering the acid harmless. Visual marketing at its best.</HTML>

August 13, 2004 02:46AM
<HTML>Scott, good observation, but more to that when one considers the "pororisty" of high solid clears.

Never mind, back to a "Glossmeter", good tool, but expensive, and one that does the same, however, with a different way of measuring, a Quality Finish Meter, from ProMotor Car.

One of these units is somewhere in the area of $1,200.00.

However, like the use of a Glossmeter or a "QFM", the testing must be done with an accepted and recognized "protocal", IE, by an organization that has been acknowledged by such long term, in operation, groups, such as SAE, I-CAR, etc.

Plus, what good does it "really do" if the very companies who "warranty" the paint, trim etc, do NOT ACCEPT those test results done by others?

The vehicle manufacturers and their paint suppliers are not impressed by those tests which do not adhere to their"time proven and scienctifical" proven, test protocals, and why should they?

Just a thought.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
August 13, 2004 05:01AM
<HTML>Ron is correct, there is a measuring device from Pro Motor Car, but frankly speaking I was really confused trying to use it. The concept is quite different than a Glossometer.

They are from a company called Gardinier and a great tool, but about $2500.

AURI - what you all have to know about lighter fluid and even a good whiskey. When you light them they generate no BTU's and therefore no heat.

You can pour lighter fluid and whiskey in the palm of your hand and light it and it will not really burn you. That is how it works.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
August 13, 2004 05:07AM
<HTML> Brandy: For seeing if the wax is holding up...

" If water droplets are beading smaller than a nickel, then you have adequate protection. If not, then it's time to wax . " -Griot's Garage Handbook No. 181, P.24 Wax

" And the rain will continue to bead up on the finish even though you wash it again and again ! " - Malm's Booklet, The Truth About Car Waxes, P. 1.

" If the beads are bigger than a quarter or if the water forms sheets, it's time to wax. "-Consumer Reports , June 1994 , P.411

" Beading really doesn't tell you anything "- Meguiar's spokesmen on phone 8/2004</HTML>
August 13, 2004 05:32AM
<HTML> And this, " When it comes to deciding if it's time for a new coat of wax, the time-honored water beading test can't be topped. "-Web-cars Secrets of the Experts , Wax ( This very site ).

" Dead, dead, dead . No more Beading , panel starting to fade and chalk. "
-Guru Reports Wax Test P.21

Doug

" It get's curiouser and curiouser ."- Alice in Wonderland</HTML>
August 13, 2004 05:47AM
<HTML> Now watch Meguiar's appear to contradict itself : " If you like good water beading action, you're going to love this wax . " - Meguiar's Is Car Crazy Catalog, P.9
Doug

" Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill any day ".</HTML>
August 13, 2004 10:27AM
<HTML>Doug,
I may have mentioned that I got myself a 1992 VW Golf GTD Turbo last Friday, and I am trying to get it sorted out. But my wife and daughter went on vacation yesterday, I have had my Brothers wedding at the weekend and several heavy deadlines to meet. So I haven't been able to spend more than a couple of hours at a time on the car.

The result is that although it is fairly clean, it is sitting in my drive with naked paintwork. No wax at all.
I have to admit that it is now all good paintwork, the whole car was buffed with compound. parts were resrayed, I haven't even had time to flat and polish these areas yet. But everywhere you look, the water is beading up beautifully.
When we were driving to the airport, my wife asked "did you use that new wax then? the water is really beading up on the bonnet". This was 6 days after it was buffed, it had two days of rain on it by this point and I had quite a few motorway miles undr my belt. The car was looing dirty and the paint was stained in places. Yet the water beaded up.

You may be thinking that the compounds had some wax in them... even if they did, the car was wet buffed, and then washed down with the hot pressure washer and Neat TFR to remove any waxes and rsidues. Then most of the car was wiped down with panel wipe as there were quite a few areas of paint to be done. Then I parked too close to a van which was having rust removed and ended up with fallout over the front end, so I clay bared the whole car yesterday.

All in all, this car couldn't possible have any wax on it. Just bare paint. Yet the rain water (We are catching the tail end of a hurricane at the mo and it hasn't stopped raining for 3 days) is beading up.

Never again will I put any trust in the beading test as an indicator of how much wax is left on a car.

Don't believe the hype!</HTML>
August 13, 2004 12:06PM
<HTML> Re: BRANDY'S COMMENTS ABOUT TESTS
Author: Jim Hammill
Date: 08-13-04 07:00

Get a spray bottle or small container of water, find a small dry patch of dry dirt that is on a small slope. Spray some water on it . Then watch the water bead up and roll down the hill, or even try it in the kitchen with some flour. Again, watch some of the water bead up as it comes in to contact with the flour.

What causes the water to bead up on flour or water ?

My yard has not been sealed with anything, nor does my wife use Teflon or wax when baking . So if water can bead up on an unprotected surface then what indication does water beading give that a wax or sealant is still protecting ?

Jim.

(posted this on the wrong thread, need coffee)</HTML>
August 13, 2004 12:30PM
<HTML>Jim, you did good,as I've seen many threads concerning protection,but nothing conclusive,other than someone elses thoughts. Not that its that big of a deal, when in doubt reseal,then you know that you are good for a few months. I think the majority tries to make it Rocket Science,and sell the general public on this that and the other. If your in business, go with a good reputable supplier,that will be of assistance when needed,and spend your time getting the work done that you have,and extra time spent developing your business, to accomodate more business,even a second or 3rd shop.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login