Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

sodium hydroxide and sodium metasilicate

Posted by Bill Doyle 
<HTML>I just saw Brian's similar post so I thought I might as well ask my chemical question publically too.

I'm trying to get some scientific info on sodium hydroxide and sodium
metasilicate in relation to effects on cars. I read autoint.com's info but I'm
looking for more.

I've noticed these chemicals are common in wheel/tire and tire cleaners. The
damaging effects I infer that they can cause to rubber, aluminum and other
surfaces concerns me. I'm really trying to find something somewhat "safe" to use particulary for cleaning tires. Maybe I'm too paranoid and a specific low percentage of these chemicals is necessary to make a worthwhile cleaner. I wonder about how products both "commonplace" and "hyped" intended for these applications contain these chemicals.

I'm real curious to see what the MSDS of the tire cleaner Michelin has
contracted out to produce contains. I assume they would reject any chemicalcontent they deem bad for cleaning their products. I'm waiting for it to be distributed widely in the US, which I think will be next year.

What's the real scoop on sodium hydroxide and sodium metasilicate? Thanks for all your help!</HTML>
Re: sodium hydroxide and sodium metasilicate
September 10, 2004 12:36AM
<HTML>Bill, I think that the products mentioned especially in this field would be better answereed by Grumpy Ketchum,as he know the percentages of caustic and acids that are used in the blending of the different type automotive washing and detailing products..... This isn't a COP out as I just don't know what the percentages are. They are at least high enough to have the Old Skull and Cross Bones on some of the Labeling.....Brandy !

Bill, send Grump and Email,as he always good to respond or Bud Abraham,as he will respond as well. Both of these folks are the Tops,and will give you guidance and Direction that you can count on....</HTML>
<HTML>Hi Eric,

I have emailed Ron this post, I'm sure he'll get back as I know he's a very busy man. If Bud doesnt see my post here first, I'll send to him too.

Would love to hear from everyone publicly from the forum as well!

Thanks in advance to everyone for your knowledge and insight!</HTML>
<HTML> Guys : I wish Ketch would publish an understandable chemical pocket handbook for detailers, listing chemicals to avoid, chemicals never to use on plastics, chemicals hazardous to humans, specific products with opinions of their properties based on examining their chemical composition etc.
As it stands, I can't remember what advice he posted yesterday ; it is complicated.
All I know is that water ( H2O ) has caused death by drowning in large quantities, promotes mildew, water spots and can promote rust . When mixed with acid, it forms acid rain. Avoid any product containing water. ( just kidding )
Doug</HTML>
September 10, 2004 03:13AM
<HTML>Bill, got to

[www.cdc.gov]

it will take you to the International Chemical Safety Cards site A-Z index.

Just look for the card on each chemical and it will prety much give you the information you need.

Used it quite a few times to check some chemicals out .

Jim.

(PS, here is the link for Sodium Hydroxide
[www.cdc.gov]

and for Sodium Meta Silicate

[www.cdc.gov] )</HTML>
September 10, 2004 03:32AM
<HTML>Also, MSDS sheets (which you should all have ) will usually list the percentage of each hazordous chemical contained in the product. For example, the MSDS sheet for a Polishing compound contains the following information under "ingredients " on the MSDS sheet.

ALIPHATIC HYDROCARBONS 10 -20 %
CALCINED KAOLIN 10 - 20 %
DIMETHYLPOLYSILOXANE 1 - 10 %
WATER 60 - 70 %

I think , and could be wrong on this , that the reason they do it by percentages is that the products are shipped sometimes in either 16 oz, 32 oz, Gallons, 5 Gallons, and 55 gallon containers , so they tell you the approx chemical content in percentages rather than exact measurments.

Hope that helps out a bit.

Jim.</HTML>
September 10, 2004 01:08PM
<HTML>The PrepExcellence Manual has a fairly complete chemical glossary, however we took only the elements that apply to vehicle cleaning, when producing that section.

Plus, there are not enough hours or band width to allow for providing the total information regarding all the things about these two components on this forum.

Here are two books, some times can be picked up at a 1/2 Price Book store, or libary, Hawley's Chemical Dictionary, by Richard Lewis and his smaller, paperback, Rapid Guide to Hazardous Chemicals in the Work Place.

There are many other fine books as well, and since the subject of chemical components is a very large one, start the quest, it takes a long, long time to get comfortable .

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
<HTML>Thank you all for the references. I will be sure to study them. Briefly, is there any rule of thumb or range of percentages of these chemicals that when present in detailing products could easily damage rubber or plastic surfaces? Thanks!</HTML>
September 10, 2004 03:43PM
<HTML>Bill, several variables for that question.

They range from the "grade" of the component, to the heat of the surface, to what other components may be combined with the questioned component.

An indicator of excessively high percentages can often be determined by reading the MSDS and the Health , Reactivity and Personal Protection rating required by OSHA, and listed on a TRUE MSDS.

If one see's any that are higher than a "2", the percentages are really up there, or it has a very hazadous component in it.

Also, look at the Threshold Limit Value(units) for PEL exposure.

An example would be our Custom Wheel Cleaner (which we also private label for Chrysler Canada, Saturn, Saab and some others), that while containing some various acids (NO HF!), has a Health Rating of 1 and a Protective Equipment Rating of 2, which is eye protection and rubber gloves.

These two requirements are just common sense, whenever one is spraying a product and using products that are caustic, daily, due to the "de-fatting" of the skin tissue.

Hope this takes you a bit further down the path to your goal.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
<HTML>Ketch,

Thank you very much! That info is gold! It's going to help tremendously in educating myself!</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login