Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Gold and Chrome Plating!

Posted by Eric Brandenburg 
Gold and Chrome Plating!
December 12, 2004 12:45AM
<HTML>do any of you detailers do this work,and how much investment vs ROI can a person expect. I have gotten some info concerning the newest addition to the gold plating service,and they are adding chrome plating.

How long will this last?

Can this operation be used to do a good job touching up wheels, door handles,hood ornaments, and various other trim,and be expected to last,as good as a shop dipped job?

I appreciate any info from you guys I can get............ Brandy !</HTML>
Re: Gold and Chrome Plating!
December 12, 2004 04:56PM
<HTML>Brandy:

Gold plating is a relatively niche market. That is, only a few models of cars gold plate their emblems: Toyota; Lexus; Cadillac; some Infiniti's.

Most dealers in these catagories already have them systems, and there are huge numbers of detailers that already offer the system.

Personally I think it is a saturated and declining market for someone to get into.

On the other hand the CARPET DYEING Systems is without much competition. That is, the systems that dye with water based dye and not cans of paint.

What is interesting is that since we introduced our system about 5 to 6 years ago we have sold more CARPET DYE Systems to auto dealers, including many used car dealers, than detailers.

What does that say? That dealers are smarter than detailers in that they see a need for a service and when a simple system is made available they will buy it.

Personally, I think many are tripping over dollars to save dimes. This is a hot, new service that a detailer can learn to do in an hour and can sell it to almost every dealer in his area.

I have one customer who gave up a pressure washing business to devote all his time to dyeing. And, he works from 9:00am to 2:00pm and makes more money, and the work is less difficult, so he indicated.

I would check this out as opposed to gold plating.

The chrome plating is not very good, and does not take the place of real chrome plating. It is a temporary fix. Whereas properly applied gold will last a long time.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
December 12, 2004 09:25PM
<HTML>I'll second that, have the money ear marked to purchase a carpet dyeing system early next year.

Gold plating ..talked to the guy who does the gold plating at the dealership, and Bud is right, it's a niche market . The guy here has to travel all over the place , in and out of state to make a good living out of it . He has maybe two or three dealerships in each city that reguarly use the service.

Jim Hammill.</HTML>
December 13, 2004 01:16AM
<HTML>Bud,
I agree, it is "over" for the majority of the market.

15 years ago, it was the "hot ticket", but today, can we both say, "bye-bye"?

Not worth the investment, not worth the customer complaints, not worth the effort.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
December 13, 2004 11:04PM
<HTML>Bud,Jim,and Grumpie, thank you for your guidance here. Money is hard enough to come by, without making bad investments. "ROI" is still the name of the game.

What do the carpet dying programs/equipment sell for? This, as you say, maybe be best bang for the buck. Vehicles will have carpeting of some sorts as long as they will be made, and/or repaired. Once again thank you guys for you guidance and direction........Brandy !</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login