Undercoating

Posted by Stephen Britz 
Undercoating
February 20, 2005 04:27AM
<HTML>Why don't we undercoat the frame on vehicles?</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
Re: Undercoating
February 20, 2005 02:11PM
<HTML>"We", meaning detailers, or the auto companies?

The auto companies don't due to added costs and the use of E-Coat, which they then spray a tinted primer or chassis black over. The metal used to be galavanized, but with the growing use of hydro-forming of rails, parts, creates a problem for use of glavanized steel.

If one is going to undercoat these parts, they must be careful to not use a cheap, asphalt residue product, or it will crack and pocket after a few months.

Thise "pocketing" allows moisture, dirt, and salts to be trapped against the painted or metal surfaces, creating a real breeding ground for serious rusting.

"Rubberized" undercoating has concerns as well, for in most applications, is very short term, detaches from most of the surfaces in a few months to a year.

I recently sent out the independant labratory certified undercoating test protocal required by vehicle manufacturers these days for approval of use of an undercoating on vehicles to a select few of my detailer friends.

Quality, OEM approved undercoating products are made from what is referred to as "asphalt cutback", with anti-corrosive waxes, etc. Not just asphalt residue, which is little more than "common tar", with added solvents.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
February 20, 2005 03:28PM
<HTML>Ron, there is a fellow who lives in your neck of the woods,who was the main developer of the metals coating protectant, for Ashland-Valvoline. This material later developed into the materials that the Automotive and Trucking Industry uses. Zbart and all the rest. He may or may not be of interest for you to talk to. He retired from Marathon-Ashland as I did in 2000,and is working with a local company there in Cinn,Ohio. This man is extremely knowledgable on protectants. He is ranked at the top, and one to confer with in his field, as you are yours. If you would like his name and how to get in touch let me know................ Brandy !</HTML>
February 20, 2005 03:39PM
<HTML>Send it to me at my office email.

We have three full time chemists on staff, but always looking to find other's who have a good background in the industry.

I have a feeling that our products have at least one of the components he developed, in them now, but always looking for better, more effective components.

Thanks, Eric.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
February 20, 2005 07:07PM
<HTML>Normally when we undercoat here at our Toyota dealership we undercoat the wheel wells, the underbody (especially body seams), making sure of good coverage. But we never undercoat the heat shields for exaust systems, drive lines, "FRAMES", brackets that hold on the bumpers, brake lines, transmissions.

Our customer was upset because we didn't undercoat the frame from front to back. He was comparing the way his 1981 mercedes had undercoating on everything underneath.

The brand new 2005 Toyota Tacoma trucks have a completely composite bed so that there is nothing to undercoat, and the wheel wells have plastic liners except for a very small area that we did undercoat. Up in front of the cab you have your typical body seam area which is always undercoated.

Hey folks there just was'nt much to undercoat under there. If it was a Tundra different story, like undercoating Seahawks Stadium.

Our undercoating comes in little cans (Permaplate) which is sprayed on.</HTML>

February 20, 2005 07:08PM
<HTML>Normally when we undercoat here at our Toyota dealership we undercoat the wheel wells, the underbody (especially body seams), making sure of good coverage. But we never undercoat the heat shields for exaust systems, drive lines, "FRAMES", brackets that hold on the bumpers, brake lines, transmissions.

Our customer was upset because we didn't undercoat the frame from front to back. He was comparing the way his 1981 mercedes had undercoating on everything underneath.

The brand new 2005 Toyota Tacoma trucks have a completely composite bed so that there is nothing to undercoat, and the wheel wells have plastic liners except for a very small area that we did undercoat. Up in front of the cab you have your typical body seam area which is always undercoated.

Hey folks there just was'nt much to undercoat under there. If it was a Tundra different story, like undercoating Seahawks Stadium.

Our undercoating comes in little cans (Permaplate) which is sprayed on.</HTML>

February 20, 2005 10:34PM
<HTML>It is my understanding that what we call "undercoating" in the automotive trade is something that is done in the aftermarket.

It is not a "rustproofing" process as many think.

It is strictly done for "sound-deadening."

Rustproofing on the other hand is done on the interior surfaces of the sheet metal because as we know rust begins from the inside out not the other way around.

Of course, if you have a chip in the paint and live in a snow area or near the sea it will rust.

A good friend of mine has worked for years for Tuff-Kote, then Tuff/Dinol and now I do not know what the name is, but the company has sold and sells rustproofing materials to the automanufacturers and the assembly plants so they can rustproof as they assemble the vehicles.

Regards

Bud abraham</HTML>

buda
February 21, 2005 07:14AM
<HTML>Ron, I received the undercoating and test panels lab test email a few days back. Thanks!

The rustproofer you have is meant to be used in the atomizer gun. Is it still effective if used in another spraying device?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
February 21, 2005 12:39PM
<HTML>Ron, I sent the info to your lycos email address,I guess this was right,if not email me and I'll resend...................... Brandy !</HTML>
February 21, 2005 01:52PM
<HTML>It could be, but then we have it in an aerosol packaging for small jobs, like body shop replacement, boat motors and electronics, etc..

The key in doing vehicles is getting it properly atomized and into the many cavataties, the "A", "B", "C" pillars, etc.

And inside the doors, hood, trunk lid, rocker panels.

That usually requires the use of th "wands" as shown in the installation portion of Warrnanty Chemicals, the Installation on our site.</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login