Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Flitz Metal Polish va Blue Magic?

Posted by Steve Bough 
Flitz Metal Polish va Blue Magic?
March 11, 2005 08:03PM
<HTML>Been looking around for a good metal polish. Seems that Flitz, Blue Magic, ans Simichrome are the "Big 3". I don't really have good access to Simichrome so I'm gonna leave that one out.

Between Flitz and Blue Magic there seems to be a startling price difference with Flitz being pretty much double of Blue Magic. I'm just wondering, if you used both with a Flitz polishing ball, would there be enough difference in the final outcome to justify the difference in price?

Steve Bough
The Shine Shop
Jasper, Indiana</HTML>
Re: Flitz Metal Polish va Blue Magic?
March 11, 2005 08:17PM
<HTML>OK Brandy...lets hear from you on this one also. Our company has performed product evaluations on a truck load of metal polishes so we have a great amount of exposure on the subject. Brandy's organization also performs a great deal of metal work within his organization so his input will be interesting.

Flitz is what I would consider a high quality consumer product. We keep some within each of our service vehicles but Flitz is not going to perform well with the high breed products. For chrome or light duty polishing its a great product but for any custom type service it will be blown out of the water within the final results. As for Blue Magic, this product within our performance test performed poorly so I will leave it at that.

Again...what type of metal polishing are you doing? So many simply try and work with one product when they need a polishing system to gain results.

So if your set on one or the other...shell the money out for the Flitz.

Happy Detailing,</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
Aircraft &amp; Auto Detailing
www.detailingsuccess.com
Proud Detailers of Air Force One!
PDTA Member
<HTML>I'll second Blue Magic does poorly. I have demoted mine to polishing metal in the garage so I'm getting rid of it.</HTML>
March 11, 2005 09:59PM
<HTML>Well said...for a Doylesmiling smiley</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
Aircraft &amp; Auto Detailing
www.detailingsuccess.com
Proud Detailers of Air Force One!
PDTA Member
March 11, 2005 11:16PM
<HTML>The Flitz Ball is a fine little tool for the Home Hobbiest. You can use it professionally ,but you had better get several,as depending upon what the surface is they don't last to long.

Dummie me, I thought I could get a bunch of these early on, and do "Big Rigs" Ha,Ha,Ha... Wrong! Ron Ketchum put me on some folks, and I made a trip across Ohio, to a Truck Detailer,that also gave me some contacts for cleaning Products, as well as equipment.

I use Air Mark Equipment as well as their Products. I'll probably try some of Renny's stuff at a later date,as I'm using up products that I got buying out 3 detailers that went out of business here in the Ashland area,as well as one Truck clean up depot in Lexington area.

Now to answer your question, stay with Professional Equipment,as well as Professional Products.

The same holds on Metals Polishing Business,as it does the Auto Detailing Industry. Stay with proven vendors, as they have done all of the home work on what does work, and what does not work.

Steve, getting into the metals polishing business, is very,very dirty to say the least. Time consuming,and tiring as hell! It's like anything else,if it was easy, everybody would be doing it. I'll say one thing, that when I got started in this by accident, I was looking for something that would give me the feeling of satisfaction! Well, when it takes 3 guys nearly a week to do one from A-Hole to Appitite, including the frame painting and final drives,thus making it look show room new,I forgot to look for the funny feeling of satisfaction. I don't know how I ever got the half dozen rigs done by myself.

Like I said stay with Professional Products...........Brandy !</HTML>
March 12, 2005 05:28PM
<HTML>Hey, Guys...

Thanks for your helpful replies. I'm not thinkin' about attacking a semi truck with a Flitz Ball!

Mostly what I have in mind is just polishing aluminum wheels, diamond plate tool boxes...that kind of stuff...small jobs.

Brandy...I did a search for Air Mark and didn't come up with anything. Can you point me in their direction?

Renny...obvoiusly I'm kinda dumb about this. Can you share more of the results of your test or tell me which product(s) you'd recommend?

Steve</HTML>
March 12, 2005 11:54PM
<HTML>Trust me Steve I didn't either, but when I took on my 1st one, that was about all I had with exception of My pneumatic, and Electric Buffer/Polishers.

Steve, try airmarktools.net , then if that doesn't work go airmarktools.net/services/index.html

I'm not the type to go off and experiment with this , that, and the other. I never have been. I know there are a lot of other very good products out there. When you get involved with these trucks like I have ,and a short window of opportunity to start and finish one, you can't spend much time experiment with all these different products.

Steve, I don't know if I have been of much help, but its the best I can give,as I don't consider my self a pro @ metals polishing by any means. I have learned as much by my mistakes,as I've gotten from any professional advice. It's like detailing any vehicle,other than the metals conditioning, and restoration, is a helluva lot more involved,and time consuming. Like I said earlier, if it was easy, everybody would be doing it!

Steve, if you have a big shop compressor,and I mean a big one, 30cfm at 90 psi "Big", or bigger. Get a Ah-10 edge tool,you can work anything that you can't with a drum buffer/polisher.Wheels,diamond plate,bumpers,knifes, & intake manifolds with the proper tooling. I been working on one for a friend on/off for over a month on spare time, finally got it done today. Looks like its been chromed,and thats the tool I used,+ several different wheels,and ball cones for the tight areas........ Bout $900.00 are there about, for a new one,and may contact them and find a used one, as they rebuild,as well as manifacture..................... Brandy !</HTML>
March 13, 2005 12:12AM
<HTML>Steve, I forgot to mention, find your self a good electric die grinder.I mean something like a souped up version of a Dremmel Tool,that machine shops use, and that will work for you when doing small jobs. I think Sioux makes one, as I saw one in a machine in Huntington,Wva the other day. Machinist told me it had been in the shop awhile, and is used everyday, without problems. He said he replaced the brushes about a year ago,and uses it a lot on porting work, heads,blocks,and that kinda sh!t. If you get one of the these, you can experiment with the flapper wheels, cone buffers, and make up your own versions, like we have to, working into close areas, more especially spoke wheels............ Brandy !</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login