Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

car cover claening

Posted by sg 
sg
car cover claening
March 22, 2005 09:50PM
<HTML>Can I simply wash my car cover in one of those hugh washing machines at the laundry mat?</HTML>
Re: car cover claening
March 22, 2005 10:01PM
<HTML>Not sure, why not call or email the manufacturer and ask them?

I do know this, if you are going to try it, no hot water, no strong soap.

Fluff dry.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
March 22, 2005 10:25PM
<HTML>Depends on the type of cover you have

You may wash Weathershield covers at home. Just be sure to use powder detergent.

IIRC, yes, you can launder a Noah or an Evolution 4 at a laundrymat but definitely double check with www.covercraft.com first.</HTML>
March 22, 2005 10:33PM
<HTML>Please please please do not submerge it in a swimming pool to clean. :-)

My customer did this to his boat's large window covers and forgot there was chlorine in the pool. His once navy blue canvas is not lighter blue with a pink hue to it, haha.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
March 23, 2005 02:33AM
<HTML>Washing and Care:
Covers should be taken to a commercial Laundromat and washed in large automatic washers without agitator.
Use Woolite (no soap or detergent). Wash your cover using the "Normal" or "Permanent Press" cycles in cold or warm water. Do not wash in hot water.

Put the cover through two rinse cycles - it is important that the entire cleaning solution be removed in order to preserve the cover's water resistance, and then air dry.

Do not put the cover in an automatic heated dryer (the fabric can melt or shrink)
Do not dry-clean covers as the chemicals used will negatively affect the fabric protection abilities and durability
JonM

BillD- "Just be sure to use powder detergent."
Interesting- I've always recommended using only a liquid to ensure it compleatly dissolves</HTML>

[ each one / teach one, then student /becomes teacher ]
March 23, 2005 03:03AM
<HTML>Good post, and was why I stated, no strong soaps, no hot water, and "fluff dry".

Anything else removes a majority of the fabric's water repellency.

It may be reapplied, our Fab Gard, replaces it, as well as protects from staining.

Same product we provide DaimlerChrysler, Saturn, etc.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
March 23, 2005 05:40PM
<HTML>I get the powdered detergent only instruction straight from the directions that came with my Noah and Weathershield covers. The detergent should be completely dissolved before beginning washing. Yes, do run the cover through two rinse cycles to flush away all traces of the detergent.</HTML>
March 24, 2005 01:38AM
<HTML>Thanks BillD, I guess I'm paranoid about a powder not being dissolved ( AR who me?)
JonM</HTML>

[ each one / teach one, then student /becomes teacher ]
June 09, 2009 01:50AM
The Nextec material that the Weathershield cover uses will not lose its waterproof properties from washing.
I've washed mine with liquid detergent with no ill effects.

Doug
June 10, 2009 04:50AM
Contact Rick Goldstein of Ragg-Topp they are the foremost experts in convertible material cleaning and I know they can offer you some "straight from the horse's mouth" expert advise on how to clean your quality car cover.

He is the Supplier VP for the International Detailing Association and you can find his email and phone number under membership on the IDA website www.the-ida.com

Regards
Bud Abraham
June 10, 2009 04:50AM
Contact Rick Goldstein of Ragg-Topp they are the foremost experts in convertible material cleaning and I know they can offer you some "straight from the horse's mouth" expert advise on how to clean your quality car cover.

He is the Supplier VP for the International Detailing Association and you can find his email and phone number under membership on the IDA website www.the-ida.com

Regards
Bud Abraham
June 12, 2009 10:29PM
Here are the instructions Covercraft provides for their covers :

NEVER...Clean a car cover in a washer with a center agitator (except WeatherShield® fabric covers).
NEVER...Use fabric softener.
NEVER...Dry a non-woven or specialty type cover in a dryer.
(WeatherShield® fabric & Form-Fit™ covers can be dried in a dryer with regular heat; polycotton, cotton and flannel can be dried on low heat.)

1 - Using a large commercial washer without agitator, wash the cover using 1/4 cup of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner (some WeatherShield covers are compact enough to be washed in a normal size washer). Put the cover in the washer and pour the cleaner in the tub after it’s filled with warm water or pour it directly in the machine (some wall mounted commercial units), then put in the cover and start the machine .
2 - Rinse the cover twice (2X) to remove all the cleaner.
3 - Air dry (unless it’s one of the covers noted above that can be dried in a dryer with regular or low heat).

A cover may also be cleaned by turning it inside-out on the vehicle.
1 - Mix one ounce Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner per quart of warm water.
2 - Spray or sponge onto cover.
3 - Rinse with plain water (until no suds) and allow to air dry.

Simple Green is available in most world markets. If you have any questions, contact them at 1-800-228-0709 (USA) or visit their web-site www.simplegreen.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login