Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Caring for new paint

Posted by Anne Springer 
Caring for new paint
March 22, 2005 11:51PM
<HTML>I just got the left fender and door replaced and painted on my car thanks to a careless teenage driver, and I've got a few questions about the proper care of the new paint.

First, should there be swirl marks on new paint? I was expecting to see a flawless finish, but instead I see swirls! Is this normal or did the body shop do something wrong and should have to repaint/fix it?

Second, what do you recommend for a detailing timeline? The directions the body shop gave me is to avoid brush automatic washes and waxing for up to 45 days, but when I read through some of Bud's manual, it suggested just rinsing the new paint down frequently with water to make sure no chemicals can bond and harm the new paint. I am thinking of just taking it to a do-it-yourself wash until it warms up (its Minnesota!) and rinsing the paint with water, and then maybe 60 days down the road put some wax on. I've never dealt with a new paint job, and I'd appreciate some tips! I want to make sure the paint is long lasting, but will have the same great look as the rest of the buffed car.

Thanks guys!
Anne</HTML>
Re: Caring for new paint
March 23, 2005 01:03AM
<HTML>Hi Anne, where have you been. Haven't heard from you in months.

You can wash a newly painted car anytime. While working at the body shop, after paint, we always wet sanded then buffed the fresh paint job -- the washed it again.

Swirl marks are very normal after coming from a body shop. ALl they do is bring the gloss back after wet-sanding and usually skip the swirl removal/polishing part of it. Hit it with the buffer after the 30-60 day window. I always play it safe and wait the 60 days. You can polish all you want as long as it has no sealing properties (waxes, ploymers, silicones, etc.)</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
March 23, 2005 01:37AM
<HTML>Anne,
You can use any of our ValuGard PF line on the paint, now or later.
They are bodyshop safe and formulated to be used on the new paint within 24 hours of application.
The Finishing Wax, actually a polymer, more than a wax, will protect the finish, and still allow any off gassing and aerobic curing to continue.
Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
March 23, 2005 02:24AM
<HTML>You can still apply a polymer sealant to a fresh paint job? Excellent, I didn't know that.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
March 23, 2005 03:00AM
<HTML>Depends on the way the product is formulated and which of the many available polyer resins are in it.

Don't put our warrantied sealant on new paint for 30 days, but the Finishing Wax, the way we formulate it, and if modern materials, it works fine, with no problems.

A little extra information, while the directions say how long it must dwell before wiping off the indicators/haze, that does not mean it is cured.

It takes a minimum of 24 hours of air curing, after wiping off the indicators, before the polymers reach about an 80% cure, just like paint.

Flush it with water before then, and it stops curing, as do all polymer based sealants, which puts some of the "test" data that has been kicking about in question, when one reads the "so called test protocal" of the test.

Looks like it was a bit "biased" to say the least.

Notice, I stated, "modern materials", not old alkaloid enamels or lacquers, just high solid/low solvent urethane materials.

ketch</HTML>

March 23, 2005 03:26AM
<HTML>Brian,

Don't know if you are making it to San Antonio, but will have all the independant or by the vehicle manufactuers, certified test protocals, etc.

You can compare and see what it really is to test products, not by a suppliers blender, but by real independant, unbiased labs.

Can't publish them, can't give a copy, as they are the property of the vehicle manufactuers, and are proprietory, but can let you see them.

Think it will amaze you, what these contain.

ketch</HTML>

March 24, 2005 03:37AM
<HTML>Hey Brian, and the rest of you! Sorry I've been scarce for the past 9 months, but the winter thing happened. Its too cold in Minnesota to detail outside and so since I wasn't detailing, I really didn't have anything to contribute. Another problem is the job I landed is in the office and they frown upon extended internet use, and I hardly get online at home. Things will change soon since its warming up outside and now I have my hands full of new detail problems.

In addition to perfecting my new door and fender, the dealership where I brought my car in to be serviced decided to give me a curtesy swirling, sorry car wash. Their wash swirled my swirl-free car! It didn't help the car was so filthy because I hadn't done a thing to it in about 6 months and it had "wash me, senor, wash me! written on the backend. hehe I was going for the dirtiest car on the road look, and was so close to finally having a dirty car picture to add to my collection of clean car pictures... But I found out now with new paint you must keep it clean, so there goes the record for another year. Bummer!

My other detail problem for the summer is my friend's new black swirly car. I've only done one black car in my life and I know its going to be a challenge! I am really going to miss his old dark teal car, it had a lot of paint problems but it was fun to experiment on and see the amazing results!

As far as the new paint goes, I'm going to take it slow and easy, and also wait about 60 days before touching it. I have to talk with the body shop about the thin paint and make sure I can't do any damage by buffing. I now also have to deal with the stupid egging aftermath and hope to god the paint is okay...

Anne</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login