Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Buffing Dirt??? . . . .

Posted by Stephen Britz 
Buffing Dirt??? . . . .
March 26, 2005 04:53PM
<HTML>Recently our company hired a new detail manager to handle administrative chores and to help in the training of our current staff of detailers, he claims 16 years of experience. On his first day I was approached by all of the detailers with many questions in regards to his detailing techniques.

*Why does he buff out the car without washing it, with the dirt still on it?
*Why does he pour one gallon of rinsing agent in the extractor instead of the recommended mixture in the directions?
*Why does he wash the car 3 times after buffing?
*Doesn't this hurt the paint?
*Why does he suck the garbage up into the extractor instead of vacuuming first?
*How can someone of 16 years experience have missed the proper way to detail vehicles?</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
Re: Buffing Dirt??? . . . .
March 26, 2005 05:17PM
<HTML>Well,

This is another example of "managment" of a dealership, basing it's hiring practices on their personal, and knowledgable experience, of detailing.

After all, the upper managment guy who hired this clown, got his extensive knowledge about detailing when he washed and waxed his dad's car 15 years ago in the driveway at home.

So, that makes him an expert on who to hire as a detail manager.

LOL!!!

We had three detail managers in class this week, sent there by their company management, to learn what it really takes, etc.

This guy, he probably wouldn't make it past noon the first day of classroom!

We have been known to send some home very early.

They either don't have the attitude or the ability to be part of the industry, so why waste their or our time.

More than once, I have went to the phone and made the call to their boss's, gave them the bad news.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
March 26, 2005 06:11PM
<HTML>Who you gonna call when you throw me out?</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
March 26, 2005 06:39PM
<HTML>Steve:

This is a clear example of the "plight" of the detail industry. It is filled with people who claim years of experience detailing. In this case, 16 years. Most likely, he has 3 months experience doing the same thing for 15 years and 9 months.

He, like so many "experienced" detailers has had absolutely no formal training and only picked up things here and there over the years.

He has come from the wholesale environment where it is get it done as fast as possible and make the car look good with the least amount of time and effort.

Worst of all, the detailing methods he is using, that you describe are techniques used years ago when paint finishes, for example, were laquer.

As you may know, laquer sprayed dull. As a result a detailer had to use an aggressive wool pad and a very heavy compound to get it to shine. When done there was a huge residue of heavy compound that had to be removed before using a lighter compound or a swirl remover. The fastest and most thorough way of doing this was to wash the car.

As far as buffing a dirty car, with an oxidized, laquer finish it was common for detailers back them to buff it with dirt on it since the compound was more aggressive than the dirt on the finish.

Washing after buffing, again, was a practice to remove heavy compound residue. Today with the lighter compounds and clear-coat finishes I do not think this is necessary.

With regard to vacuuming with an extractor, he probably never used one in his early learning days and treats the extractor like a shop vacuum. Plus it is faster to use one piece of equipment than two. And, remember his detailing methodology is all about "shortcutting and getting it done fast."

This man is a classic example of why I tell all my customers, many of whom are auto dealers, to not hire any detail personnel with detail experience because this is what they will get.

Their experience is only good if you let them do what they know and want to do. Then who is in control?

Dealers are not the only ones who suffer this problem; carwash people who operate detail businesses do the same thing; freestanding detail shops do the same thing, it is simply a common practice in the industry to hire "experienced detailers."

The problem is that their experience is not really experience, it could be doing the wrong things for years and calling that experience.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
March 26, 2005 06:46PM
<HTML>Could not agree more, Bud.

When I did the AngoAmerican Auction thing back in the late 80's, always in the interview, did a real questioning of the applicants.

Perferred people who had no experience, but had a "want to learn" work ethic.

Like the one that brags about "been buffing cars for 5 years", and never once in that 5 years did it right. They may have had a good work ethic, but easier to train someone to do it right, rather than spend weeks breaking old, bad habits.

Or the one that "I clean an interior in 15 minutes", and used three gallons of solution dumped into the car and sucked out some of it with a wet vac!

On and on and on!

Ketch</HTML>

March 26, 2005 06:47PM
<HTML>Someone who I don't have to retrain, and will listen, easier to teach a new one than break old ingrained bad habits.

Ketch</HTML>

March 27, 2005 09:00PM
<HTML>I have to say I am real proud of the other detailers for sticking to what they have learned are correct procedures. They understand that you don't just rush into a detail with chemicals and products that you don't understand without safe guidance, and they know that there are differences in vehicle materials that need to be considered. All I have done is demonstrate to them through my own actions how it is done, I don't have to spend a bunch of time breaking old habits in these folks. They realize the methods I have been taught and pass on to them make more sense and take less effort to achieve a great quality product. If it is of value to them they will apply it and the old bad habits end up on the scrap heap of the past. They think that he feels very intimidated by me, but what is really going on is that one of the keys to real progress is having an open mind to other concepts of thought and application, and if you think you know it all you really annoy those of us who really DO! you know what I mean!

The other detailers have found it to be much easier to wash and clay the cars first than to try and buff through airborne contaminants and dirt build-up, it's insane to buff a car with the dirt still on it period. Ask any of the pro's here if they skip the prepping stage and go right to buffing dirt!

Some of these folks, there tools should be taken away from them until they have been told they can pick them up again.</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login