Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Coffee stain on lt. gray carpet...need help

Posted by Scott Sturdy 
Coffee stain on lt. gray carpet...need help
April 01, 2005 02:46PM
<HTML>Just started my one man pick-up and drop-off detailing service and ran into a problem with my first client (who luckely was a friend).

He was transporting a large container of brewed coffee and it sloshed around and spilled in the back of his Tahoe which has the light gray carpeting. I've had good luck with Resolve on other carpet stains, but this dried coffee was tough. The first few towels were showing that coffee was being removed, but the last towels showed that it was more of a "stain" in the carpet because nothing else was coming off onto the towel.

Seems like I read on this board once about Oxi Clean. Should I give that a shot or rent a steam cleaner. Any suggestions?

My friend was understanding when I told him I would check on this board for tips and would try something else at no charge. I'm one of those people that doesn't rest until I find a solution to a problem.

thanks you guys,
Scott</HTML>
Re: Coffee stain on lt. gray carpet...need help
April 01, 2005 02:58PM
<HTML>You need an extractor to really get the stain out.

It is just dried coffee, and with enough towels and time, you may be able to "wick" up most of it, however an extractor will make short work of it.

One of those Little Mean Green Machine, with the hot water supply is cheap and will do the job, just not going to hold for everyday usage in detailing, on a regular basis.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
April 01, 2005 03:37PM
<HTML>Ron

I am afraid an extraction machine will not be enough...the coffee is in the base of the carpet and will wick up and continue to brown. An appropriate coffee (tannin) remover must be applied to remove the tannin stain</HTML>
April 01, 2005 09:55PM
<HTML>Luckily I've never had a problem with coffee stains. They seem to be my easiest. I use a high pH (alkaline) pre-spotter and let dwell for a couple minutes; aggitate and extract. Ammonia based cleaners seem to neutralize tannins and clarifies almost instantly.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
April 02, 2005 04:26AM
<HTML>Brian:

You are lucky....a large part of my client base have really nast carpets and seats..huge amounts of coffee spilled and sitting under the surface...the moment you shampoo it reactivates the coffee and it starts wicking to the surface.

It can be quite challenging trying to eliminate any stains.</HTML>
Dan
April 02, 2005 03:09PM
<HTML>Concours,
What is your approach to using the tannin stain remover? I have used tannin products in the past with not much better results than using normal detergents. What is it that you do? Thanks

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
April 02, 2005 04:01PM
<HTML>wait for the stain to dry... mist either a cloth or the area and rub it out by hand (do not over-wet) continue doing so until the brown disappears.

I have noticed that some flavored coffees are more difficult to remove</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login