Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

stinky interior

Posted by Jerry Slater 
stinky interior
May 07, 2005 02:04AM
<HTML>Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone has any information on this subject. Recently I did the interior of a 00 Toyota Camry. The customer said the car belonged to his mother. The mother was a very heavy smoker and the car reaked of smoke and those little cherry bomb scents that people hang on their rear view mirrors. I told him I'd give it my best shot with the tools I had since I don't have an "ozone take the smell out thing" . It just so happend that he wouldn't need the car for a week so I had him leave it at my place for the duration. Everyday I would roll all the windows down and let the car air out. I hot water extracted the inside, including the headliner and everything else. I helped to eliminate but the cigarette smell still lingerd. The customer was happy and took delivery of the car. A week later I bumped into this guy again. He said he was talking to one of his friends and they told him to put a glass of ammonia in the car overnight, close the windows and doors, and the next morning the smell would be gone. So... he did it and claimed it took care of the odor. I was quite embarrassed that he believed this simple remedy took care of the smell. I didn't get to see or smell the car after that since he sold it, but I'm wondering if this is possible? Could an 8 oz glass of ammonia do something to take the smell out? Change the buildup of the chemical "smell". Or do you think this guy believes in magic?</HTML>

jer

Charlotte Auto Detailing
Charlotte, MI

517-749-5484
Re: stinky interior
May 07, 2005 02:07AM
<HTML> Tobacco smoke- is one of the most difficult smells to remove from a car, as the smoke permeates almost every interior finish. Start by cleaning the carpets and upholstery with an extractor and 303 Carpet & Spot Remover TM. Clean leather and vinyl surfaces with approved cleaners once the carpet has dried for 24 hours, sprinkle with baking soda, rub it in to ensure that it penetrates the fibres and leave it for about a week, then vacuum the carpet to remove. The baking soda should absorb the remaining odour in the carpet. Don't forget the headliner, as this is the source of most of the tobacco smell.
JonM</HTML>

[ each one / teach one, then student /becomes teacher ]
May 07, 2005 04:30AM
<HTML>I'm new in the business so if I sound really stupid, forgive me!

I use a steam machine for exterior, interior, wheels, and engine bay.

The nozzle comes out at 176 degrees but quickly cools down if few inches away. This temp kills pretty much all smells. I did a car that reaked of urine. It sucked that I had to smell that but it came out. I also know who the smokes weed in the car, tobacco, "Bu - dusy", and fried foods.

I wish I could have been there! Check out the site zadsinc.com You'll find a demo there...and our local epa office is interested in this reinventing of the wheel.</HTML>
May 08, 2005 02:25PM
<HTML>Why reinvent the wheel with all types of "home remedies." You are supposed to be professionals and have professional solutions to customer's problems.

The proven answer to eliminating smoke odor is OZONE. The hotel and motel industry has used ozone generators for years to eliminate smoke odor that has permeated carpets; drapes; fabric upholstery and bedspreads, and even walls all in one motion, and that is by placing an OZONE generator in the room.

This eliminates the need to clean each and every item mentioned.

The investment a detailer would make in an OZONE generator is small compared to the results and revenues.

By the way you are lucky using an extractor on the headliner that you did not break it loose from the backer and have a drooping piece of cloth.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
May 08, 2005 04:40PM
<HTML><<The proven answer to eliminating smoke odor is OZONE.>>

<<This eliminates the need to clean each and every item mentioned.>>

As a professional who has cleaned and removed smoke and other odors for the last 20 years I disagree with this information about the need to not clean every item.

About 45% of my business in odor removal, we have tried every way, short-cuts, not cleaning every item.... and ozone... We have never been able to successfully remove/eliminate smoke or other odors... In fact we re-clean vehicles that have been ozoned to death because they were not cleaned well. Ozone machines work... but best for faint residual odors

I know you are going to tell me about the hotel and motel...I have been in those hotels I know the difference...the smoke is still sickening and for those people highly sensitive to smoke it activates severe sinus problem with sore throats...

If you are professional and want the best results there is no substitute for proper cleaning...you should clean and thoroughly clean every item.. I have in my arsenal of cleaning equipment , black lights, water detectors, ozone machine, restorator, fogger, condenser coil cleaners... they are still no substitute for cleaning and cleaning properly.</HTML>
May 08, 2005 05:13PM
<HTML>A hot water extractor on the headliner?!?!</HTML>

-Get that great new car feeling!-
May 08, 2005 05:37PM
<HTML>Steam vapor cleaners work great. I highly advise getting some ODOR TERMINATOR from ValuGard. This stuff is just amazing.

I have a 2 quart steamer and I add just an ounce of it in my tank and it will wipe out tobacco residue in headliners, carpets, seats and door panels. For some extra insurance spray the interior when completed and everything should be gone.

I sprayed my dog after she came in from the rain with some Odor Terminator and it removed that wet doggie smell in about 10 minutes. Ketch told me about it and I figured it was just hype but kit sure did work, just as Ketch explained.

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
May 08, 2005 05:40PM
<HTML>
I have also cleaned 100's of interiors over 20 years, and concours is right! I also have black light, thermo-fogger, extractor etc. You must clean everything you can get at very thoroughly and with proper chemicals, then dry thoroughly before ozoning and thermo-fogging, and in some cases you may need to repeat the ozone or thermo-fog.

Cigarette smoke (phenol Gas) leaves a yellow/brown film on interior materials, it is rediculous to say that ozoning eliminates the need to clean each and every item in a vehicle. This is like saying you do not need to eliminate environmental contamination on painted surfaces before paint sealing or waxing, just wax over it!

Headliners should not be cleaned by use of an extractor, the glue that holds the headliner separates from the fabric or backing and the headliner sags or forms noticable pockets of air. Imagine you did this to a customers car.</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
May 08, 2005 06:57PM
<HTML><<This is like saying you do not need to eliminate environmental contamination on painted surfaces before paint sealing or waxing, just wax over it!>>

Excellent analogy...

Some people do not realize that if one is not in the field doing odor removal on a daily basis suggesting all kinds of theories will not yield results...it is the practical day in day out applicaton of tried and tested cleaning protocols that work.</HTML>
May 08, 2005 09:17PM
<HTML>Thanks you all for your invaluable advice, this website and its contributors always offer practical solutions and advice.

I would like to clear up a few things before I proceed-

I am not nor have I ever been a professional detailer, my primary profession is that of an Architectural Engineer (although I do detail concourse vehicles for money)

If the wording in my post read like/ or suggested that any one use a steam extractor on a headliner I apologise (I’m just a dumbarchitect but even I know better than that)
JonM</HTML>

May 08, 2005 09:44PM
<HTML>Sorry, did not mean to infer that you should not clean and shampoo the interior along with Ozone.

My comments on Ozone were related to using ammonia, etc. in lieu of ozone or a biological odor eliminators.

Absolutely, I would agree if you use only ozone and do not clean you could have residual odor.

Thanks for the clarification.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
May 09, 2005 06:17AM
<HTML>I
agree 100% to that first a thourough cleaning of every item, then as an added option, also use a fogger/ and or Ozone machine, is as close to getting rid of odor that youll get.
but as said before, the first deep cleaning is essential, to reach any results what so ever.

RoB</HTML>
May 09, 2005 02:45PM
<HTML>Well, as expected I received a lot of good info. I know I need an Ozone machine, but can't afford it right now. As for the headliner, yes, I used a hot water extractor. And yes, I was lucky. The customer took full responsibility for what I did and was fully aware of the possible consequences.

I have question for Anthony Orosco; You stated you use a steamer with Odor Terminator on the headliner? Isn't this just as bad as using an extractor? And for everyone else, how do you clean the headliner properly without the use of an extractor? Because we all know it must be done.

Also on another subject, I just purchased a new extractor about 6 wks ago from Top of the Line.com. Century Sensei 400. I also purchased the floor wand to do household carpets. All together it came to $1700.00 but well worth it. Irene was very helpful with all my questions and called or emailed me back within hours of contact. I must have contacted a dozen different places and all of them seemed eager to sell on the phone, but none of them execpt TOtL called me back or did what they said they would do like send me brochures. The machane is great and would highly recommend it. I did have to install new outlets in my shop to handle the electricity load, but was well worth the time.</HTML>

jer

Charlotte Auto Detailing
Charlotte, MI

517-749-5484
May 09, 2005 04:21PM
<HTML>It seems we are coming to some closure on this subject. However, let us summarize all that has been said:

1. Odor comes from bacteria.

2. Kill the bacteria and you eliminate the odor

3. There are several ways to eliminate odor:

a. Ozone
b. Biological odor eliminator chemical either sprayed and wiped on the
surfaces of the interior or used with fogger
c. Prior cleaning and shampooing can help to eliminate odor, however
if the ozone is used properly it should eliminate the bacteria without
the need for cleaning since cleaning, unless you use a bacteria killing
shampoo, will not kill the bacteria. It will provide for cleaner windows
and hard surfaces, etc.

4. It is not recommended to use an extractor or steamer on cloth head-
liners because this could and many times does, breakdown the ad-
hesive holding the headliner material to the foam backer.

5. Also, you can kill mold spores that build up in the air conditioning system
creating smell, irritation to eyes and nose by turning the system on and
running it with the ozone machine on.

Did I miss anything?

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
May 09, 2005 04:45PM
<HTML>What the methods you are presenting are correct, too a point.

"Killing" requires the use of a "toxin", some chemical that "kills" the bacteria.

The way the Odor Terminator works, is not through a toxin, or "disinfectant", which utilizes toxic components as well to "kill" the bateria.

Ozone, "kills" the bacteria as well, plus has some affect on the allergens present.

Odor Terminator, alters the "food source" that the bacteria feed on.

Bacteria must feed constantly, while in an active state, or they die off due to lack of food.

Odor Terminator "alters" without toxins or disinfectants, the organic food source, so the bacteria will not feed, and die off naturally, in a short time.

The time required, depends on the type of bacteria (there are millions of species) and the amount of organic food source that is present.

Odor Terminator must "make contact" with the area where the food source is, as it is not a "cover up", a masking agent, like a fragrance.

it is not an enzyme, which is an entirely different type of product, it is not "oil based", so no staining occurs.

A human can safely drink Odor Terminator, and other than their "taste" being a bite different for a short periord, due to the bacteria that are present in everyone's mouth, starving to death, their are no side effects.

It is non-allergenic as well, so no concern with customers who are senstive to fragrances, toxins, or ozone.

So, there is one other way to deal with the odor problem, including tobacco /nicotine residue.

ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
May 09, 2005 05:03PM
<HTML>Since this is a posting for selling biological odor eliminators let me say that DETAIL PLUS also offers a great product, ODORID which will do the same thing as Ketch describes. but since we sell direct I am sure our price is much lower per gallon.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS
www.detailplus.com</HTML>

buda
May 09, 2005 06:18PM
<HTML>Not a posting to sell it, just to clarify your post regarding what you deem effective methods.

You left out this one.

What's the matter, got a warehouse full of those Chinese made Ozone machines?

LOL!

Ketch</HTML>

May 09, 2005 07:11PM
<HTML>Ron:

Pardon me if I misunderstood the intent of your posting about your odor eliminator.

That is what I intended too, to clarify the issue.

Chinese made ozone generators? The unit we sell is made by the largest and most respected name in ozone generating systems in the USA and maybe the world.

The only thing I buy from China, like your company is micro fiber towels.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
May 09, 2005 07:20PM
<HTML>Gee, you got a lot better sources for things.

Most pistol sprayers are made off shore, most terry towels, a lot of brushes are not made here any longer.

Most air tools, at least one that are affordable, are made off shore, many in China.

The list of "things", parts, finished goods, etc, may have lead the buyer to believe that it's all Made In America, until they research the "content list" of a product.

But, if we look at the real content of the new car we just bought, the transmission may have been built in China, the engine in Korea, etc.

It's a global economy.

ketch</HTML>

May 09, 2005 07:52PM
<HTML><I know I need an ozone machine>

I know I going to get a lot of flack for this by the ozone selling people...But you really do not need one...

If you develop proper cleaning protocols, find and remove the source, clean very well ...99% of the time you will not need one.

I do a lot of odor removal and very rarely ever use an ozone machine...because I hate the after smell left by an ozone machine.</HTML>
May 09, 2005 09:56PM
<HTML>Ron:

Having worked in international trade for several years, many in Asia so we do have a great many sources for products.

The air tools made in Asia are actually very good tools. Florida Pneumatic and others set the standards for the tools they only use the lower labor plants in Asia to manufacture.

The Asian made sprayers I would agree are not good, I purchased some and they fell apart. We buy from an American company. If they make in Asia at least it is to their standards and not Asian standards.

Brushes are both available from the USA and Asia. Have not found any problem, however, with Asian made brushes as long as the American buyer is setting the standards.

The US Customs has strict rules about when a product can be considered made in America, and all companies have to abide by these rules, so there is no problem with US companies trying to put one over on consumers.

In fact, anything made overseas and imported to the USA cannot come into the country unless it is marked with "Made in China; Korea, Japan, etc.

I can tell you they enforce this law because we had to go down to customs a few years ago and physically put a Made in China sticker one several thousand towels that did not have the mark put on them from the factory.

In summary are you inferring that things made in Asia are bad quality? I would disagree with you. But that is a matter of opinion isn't it.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
May 09, 2005 10:55PM
<HTML>ok back to the subject at hand,i use spot away from ultra-sheild in florida i dont buy much of it because its $120 a case.it is a enzyme based product which i think is not considered the best product for the job , but i swear by this stuff.ive had customers who had been to every detail shop in town and could not get the results they were looking for and i got the smell out with this product.i also agree that you do need a good ozone machine.</HTML>
May 09, 2005 10:59PM
<HTML> A hot water extractor on the headliner?!?!
-Get that great new car feeling!-Headliners:

Not quite- headliners require special care and attention, as cloth type headliners are assembled with foam backing and usually glued to a fibre roof panel. If the headliner becomes wet, it can cause the head liner to delaminate and fall down. An interior cleaner (303 TM Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner) should be used. Spray onto a terry towel and wipe very gently

Do not spray products directly onto head lining. Wipe lightly making sure not to leave headliner wet. Inspect and re-clean as necessary. It is better to clean twice, rather than to allow the head liner to get too wet. An alcohol based aerosol glass cleaner may also work for this operation because of its quick evaporation. Vinyl headliners should be cleaned the same way.
JonM

PS: Thanks for the info Ketch very informative as usual</HTML>

May 09, 2005 11:21PM
<HTML>It is clear you were lucky enough to eliminate the bacteria by cleaning. That usually does not occur with normal cleaning.

As for the smell of ozone that is surprising because it is after a rain that we smell a fresh odor in the air, this is ozone.

I do not know what kind of system you might have experience with since you said you do not own or use an ozone generator, but we have never, ever had a problem as you describe with an ozone generator.

Interesting, but auto dealers and rental agencies are one of our biggest customers for ozone generators.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
May 10, 2005 12:18AM
<HTML>Bud,

I AM not inferring that products or components made out side the USA are bad quality.

Just the opposite, for the most part, the quality is as high or in some cases, higher than made here.

I am not bashing the U.S. Worker or U.S Companies, just pointing out, to all those who read these threads, that it is a "global economy", one in which world wide standards have come to be.

Just as in our little world of detailing, "standards" are coming into play, as the American consumer is slowing learning to look for companies that reached the "world wide accepted" quality standards, beyound just automotive standards such as ASE, SAE, I-CAR, etc.

Detailers who are serious about being profitable and around in the future, need to accept these changes.

ketch

ISO is the biggest example of this change.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
May 10, 2005 02:08AM
<HTML>Well.... thanks again to everyone for their input. I will take all the advice to heart. It seems the Odor Terminator is a pretty good product. Guess I will be the judge of that. I know the baking soda will work somewhat....I wish I had thought of that when I had the car. I'm not convinced the ammonia won't work yet. I've used it in homes to deodorize urine spots from pets by applying with a spray bottle then blotting with a towel.</HTML>

jer

Charlotte Auto Detailing
Charlotte, MI

517-749-5484
May 10, 2005 02:43AM
<HTML><<It is clear you are lucky enough to eliminate the bacteria by cleaning>>.

Your seem to suggest luck is involved in the process of cleaning to eliminate mal-odors. I can assure you there is no luck involved or magic bullet.

We are seriously engaged in the business of odor removal and over the years we have by trial and error created cleaning protocols to deal with all types of odors. While we own 2 ozone machines we use them sparingly because they do not smell like fresh odor after rainfall...but rather a dull flat tinny smell which can be quite offensive to some customers.</HTML>
May 10, 2005 04:01AM
<HTML>Jerry Slater,

A good steam vapor machine will NOT soak the headliner, causing it to sag. I have done countles headliners with my steamer and never had a problem.

I use a microfiber towel which is attached to a special cleaning head on the steamer. Any water being put out is absorbed by the mf towel and it also acts as a scrubber of sorts to help clean the headliner. The towel and headliner are pretty much dry when done.

Another method I have used is to hold the steamer head just a few inches from the area being cleaned (areas that do not nead heavy cleaning) and then wipe dry with a mf towel. Dispensing the Odor Terminator with this method works great also.

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
May 10, 2005 03:11PM
<HTML>Been very busy with the local Caddy dealer (#1 Pre-owned Cerified dealer in the nation, BTW) for the last several days.

They wanted to change their used car window sticker layout, colors, add a price field; as well as adding multiple photos to the website. ($13.50 per car X 125+cars)

Also added on Carpet Covers as well. ($10.00 per car, I can do 15-20 cars/hr, $10X125+cars)

Busy last couple of days!!!

On to the point: Several, maybe a dozen or two, of these vehicles have tobacco smell. This dealer uses their own detail shop, as well as two other detail shops in town for detail work. NOBODY can remove the lingering tobacco odor for some reason.

UCM and GSM and I kicked around the idea of using an ozone machine. For me, all of the cleaning the surfaces, glass etc. is already done. All shops involved DO use a hot water extractor on most vehicles. And honestly, they do a very good job. No soap residue in the carpets. I can always tell if they do because the carpet covers won't stick well.

Seems this might be a no-brainer investment for me, and a win for the dealer.

Any thoughts on what this service might go for?

valward.com, click on search pre-owned inventory to see their vehicles. They are some of the cleanest in town. This dealer doesn't mind spending money. They want their vehicles standing tall. (The service drive is waxed with a riding floor waxer 5X per day, you can eat off the service drive floor)

Regards,

Mike</HTML>

-Get that great new car feeling!-
January 25, 2006 03:15AM
<HTML>I really like concoursgarage's answer about cleaning everything to truly get rid of the odor. A shot in the dark, but, any chance your shop is near Chicago? Or anyone else here have a shop near Chicago or have a recommendation of a shop near Chicago? I've got a car with cigarette smoke odor and I'll tell you what works (or doesn't).

Thanks!</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login