Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Claying Auto Glass

Posted by Chris Baird 
Claying Auto Glass
July 14, 2006 07:08PM
<HTML>My question is simple, is claying auto glass (particularly the windshield) a good way to get every last contaminant off of there, or is it just as good to use a good cleaner and the various techniques discussed in prevoius posts? Thanks in advance for your responses.
cb</HTML>

thanks
Re: Claying Auto Glass
August 10, 2006 02:17AM
Clay is useful for removing solidly bonded contaminants such as paint overspray. There is a risk of dragging dirt against the glass with the clay and causing scratches. For that reason, I would not use clay for general glass cleaning.

If you simply need to deep clean the windshield, you can use any of several mildly abrasive substances : corn starch in water, Griot's Garage glass polish, Rain-X Heavy Duty glass cleaner, brass wool and maybe even talcum powder in water. I recall that Malm's paint polish can also be used on glass...

Doug

" Progress is what happens when you aren't a slave to tradition."
Re: Claying Auto Glass
August 10, 2006 10:03AM
There are two basic levels of abrasive clays: mild and heavy duty. The most common is mild, usually light blue in color. The more aggressive clay is typically red. However, colors often change from one vendor to another... so ask or read the label.

Mild clay will not damage automotive glass... providing you use a spray lubricant in conjunction with the clay.

I do not recommend using plain water to lubricate. Instead, use a spray containing a silicone derrivitave like a quick detailing product. Removing debris that is laying above the surface (not imbedded) like paint or other industrial oversprays is what body clay does best, and windshields were one of the basic focuses of the product.

-Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login