Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

road tar

Posted by darkwing 
road tar
November 11, 2006 02:32AM
what is the best and easiest way to remove road tar from the wheels and also the paint?
Re: road tar
November 11, 2006 02:51AM
Darkwing-
Use the search function for lots of info. You can read my product evaluation thread, for one product that works.
Generally, I find that Goo-gone gel, De-Solve-It, or other citrus product works well. Spray it on. Let it dwell. Agitate with a fabric softener sheet. Rinse. Try to save time by doing something else while the product dwells.

To avoid rubbing dirt into the paint, wash the car before bug and tar removal.
Doug
November 11, 2006 03:00AM
I just use mineral spirts.
November 11, 2006 03:00AM
Notes-
I've seen some textured cotton dish towels that should be great for scrubbing away tar. The 3M Dobie and other TEFLON-SAFE scrub pads seem to work, but if you use them, don't keep any harsher scrub pads stored in your shop. If you use the wrong pad, you'll do accidental wet-sanding.
Doug
November 11, 2006 12:36PM
The reasoning for the use of solvents for the removal of bituminous asphalt is that it dissolves it as a means of removal, as opposed to rubbing it. Asphalt is very sticky and its presence on your paint means that harder particulate matter (dirt/grit) has also stuck to it. By agitating or rubbing the dirt/grit that is contained with the bituminous asphalt will cause surface marring or possibly scratching, dissolution alleviates any potential surface damage.

A safe solvent that does not contain any harmful components (heptanes or xylene or hydrocarbon aliphatic solvents (Stoner™ Tarminator or New Car Prep – http;//www.autoint.com) that simply emulsifies and dissolves the bituminous asphalt / tar /grease when you spray it directly on the paint film surface It is important not to leave a solvent based chemical on the paint finish longer than is necessary. Simply apply to the affected area, allow sufficient dwell time, and carefully wipe off, you may have to apply it three or four times allowing plenty of "dwell time" between applications.

[ each one / teach one, then student /becomes teacher ]
November 13, 2006 12:14AM
TOGWT :
Three or four applications with ample dwell time is about what I find necessary to loosen old tar if you don't agitate. That requires leaving the solvent on the paint a good while. Pardon me, but I'm hoping to make money at this---and time is money.
In reality, my method doesn't leave the paint scratched up, and I put a lot of stock in reality.
If you really want to avoid scratching, you could try a dentist's ultrasonic pick to break up the tar globs...
Doug
" To make an omelet, you gotta break some eggs."
November 13, 2006 02:35AM
Darkwing-
Steam Jet and Daimer steam cleaners are supposed to be capable of removing tar without agitation. One detailer I know uses a degreaser that his company buys by the drum and he says the tar melts away. Solvents that are used include kerosene, mineral spirits, turpentine and 3M adhesive remover. WD-40 works but Brian warned in a past post that it can damage aftermarket paint. I've heard of lighter fluid being used. Whether Prepsol, Acrilikleen and other body shop proiducts can harm paint is still debated.
Tarminator by Stoner is popular and also works on carpet spots. Lifter#1 Tar Remover works but wear gloves and mask for sure.
Citrigel works but I found I used too much of the gel product to be economical. It is also irritaing to breathe so wear the mask.
Some car wash soaps can be applied full-strength to loosen tar. Same with some dish liquids.
Rinse off whatever you use. To keep tar from sticking the next time, you can apply multiple coats of wax to the affected areas. Mixing a little compound with your tar remover enhances the agitation but only do this if the paint will need compounding anyway.
Hope that about covers this subject !
Doug
November 13, 2006 07:18PM
It is always easier to remove road tar before it starts to harden onto the painted surfaces.

To safely remove road tar you can use your favorite brand name bug & tar remover. Keep in mind that most tar remover products contain a solvent base that actually helps to dissolve and melt away tar.

It is always a good idea to do any tar removal after you have thoroughly washed your car. Spray some tar remover directly onto a small cotton terry towel. Do not spray the car with the tar remover. You can also add some cleaner wax or in extreme cases, some cleaner polish to the same cloth, along with the tar remover. Adding polishes and waxes to the cloth will help to lubricate the cloth during the removal process and reduce the chance of causing unwanted surface marring. Add more tar remover as needed.

It is a good idea to work your way around your car in a counter clockwise direction if you are right handed. Use a soft pressure and a circular motion and apply the product to a slightly damp applicator cloth. Use plenty of tar remover, polish and wax, in order to keep the cloth lubricated. Some lower panels may need a second application.

Using a new applicator cloth, always follow up with a coat of your favorite car wax.

November 14, 2006 03:16AM
Frank-
Your advice sounds good. Certainly some new wrinkles there.
Doug
November 15, 2006 01:38AM
Personally, we believe in spraying the tar and asphalt while it is on the car. We train to start on the driver's side front and move to the back and around to the passenger side back to front.

This insures you have enough chemical on the tar and asphalt and if it is the right stuff you will see it emulsifying the material right on the car.

Start again with a towel and wipe the material and remover off.

If you have heavy concentrations you should know ahead of time that one spray and wipe might not work and you will need a Paint & Tar Scraper.

Chemical works better when it is used on the area to be cleaned rather than in a towel or sponge.

Regards
Bud Abraham
November 16, 2006 03:40AM
Bud-
Sounds like you've got a good system there. I'll be printing your post out and saving it.
Doug
November 16, 2006 11:24PM
Bud,

Thanks for the informative post. Also, I noticed that the original post also asks about how to remove road tar from wheels. In that case would you agree that it would be better to apply the tar remover to a cloth and then apply the cloth to the wheel, rather than spray the wheel directly?

November 16, 2006 11:56PM
Frank:

We spray the tar and grease remover directly on everything that has asphalt on it other than plastic which it can discolor if left on too long. How long is too long? Who knows, all I know is that it will discolor some plastics.

But the only way to get the asphalt off metal and paint is to spray the chemical directly on the offended areas to allow it to emulsify. It cannto effectively emulsify the tar without sitting on it.

Regards
Bud Abraham
November 17, 2006 12:38AM
Bud,

I am going to try your method. I was always concerned with possibly damaging the paint by leaving the tar remover on the paint too long.

November 17, 2006 01:06AM
What is the make up of your tar and greaser remover? Check out the MSDS and tell me what it says the hazardous ingredients are and I can advise you if there is anything to be concerned about.

Regards
Bud Abraham
November 18, 2006 12:36AM
Bud,

The manufacturer actually recommends not applying the product directly to the surface of the car. And since I have never had a problem, I think I am just going to stick with my original process.

Thanks again.

November 18, 2006 01:55AM
That can often be only cautionary to protect them from any suits. Whatever works for you. We have never had a problem with our methodology whether they use ours or another solvent.

BudAbraham
December 09, 2006 02:08AM
We use paint thiner and a rag to disovle the tar. We dont let it sit on there because it will break down the clearcoat. We just wipe it on and wipe the tar away. it takes 5 minutes to do the whole car and were done. No messing around, no waiting for it to break down. no damge done.

Its fast and clean.

Jules
December 09, 2006 07:24PM
Wonder what the MSDS says about the hazardous ingredients in paint thinner?

December 11, 2006 04:29AM
I would be very careful using "paint thinner" because that is what it is, a chemical to thin paint.

A solvent such as tar and grease remover is not a paint thinner and in most cases will not hurt the paint. However, the wrong thinner used on a paint can soften it and take it right off the car.

You had better know what your "paint thinner" is and what kind of paint you are using it on.

Bud Abraham

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login