Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

YOUR INDUSTRY NEEDS YOU!!

Posted by concoursgarage 
YOUR INDUSTRY NEEDS YOU!!
May 11, 2008 04:03PM
YOUR INDUSTRY NEEDS YOU!

Join the NAPDR network

The leading AUTO DETAILING ASSOCIATION

And choice of 17 of the industries major manufacturers Distributors and consultants
Working together to improve your profession!
If you are an auto detailer or are interested in becoming one and starting your own professional auto detailing business visit the National Association for Professional Detailing & Reconditioning for information on how we can effectively assist in the growth of your business, TODAY!!!
Free Product Samples- To demonstrate their commitment to the industry manufacturer members have pledged to give each new member a combined package of their newest products to sample at a value of $250.00.

Visit our website. www.detailassocation.com for more information on the organization and become part of the chain of change… Just click the member button and join Today!!!

Gina Budhai
President
(NAPDR) National Association for Professional Detailing and Reconditioning

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2008 04:03PM by concoursgarage.
Re: YOUR INDUSTRY NEEDS YOU!!
June 20, 2008 10:57AM
Hi Gina,

The association really needs a members directory. I do occasionally get emails from people in the US with various problems, and I'd love to be able to refer them to a trusted detailing technician in their state.

NAPDR members would be a good place to start... to me, if you are willing to sign up and pay to join the NAPDR, then you are interested in taking the industry forward, and not just a fly-by-night. So I'd happily refer my enquiries to your members.
But currently there is no way to do so.

You can search members by state, but then you have to log in to view their details... I'd like to be able to read a list of services they provide, let alone contact details.

Providing this facility would I'm sure act as an extra incentive for members as they would get referral work.

Anyway, I hope you are keeping well, and I'm glad to see the association doing well.

Regards
Danny Argent
New Again (formerly Clean Image)

New Again - Auto Reconditioning
June 21, 2008 03:56AM
Hi Danny:

Great to hear from you? Please check your private messages
June 27, 2008 07:41AM
I don't seem to have got any new private messages!!!
IDA PUBLISHES THEIR MEMBERSHIP ROSTER
June 29, 2008 10:34PM
Danny

If you go to the International Detailing Association website and click on Membership you will find a list of all members, suppliers and operators. That is key, I believe to building a "detailing community" providing open information to members and non-members so that people can contact each other.

As the IDA's small membership grows you can be sure they will either publish a directory or at the least publish their membership on the website.

Great idea.

Regards
Bud Abraham
Member of the Formation Committee for the IDA
June 30, 2008 03:17PM
Danny:

I will resend you the private email- - Bud never ceases to amaze me with his lack of finesse and while it was not my intent to impose membership on you I feel obliged to publicly state the NAPDR'S position on why a person or business should join the NAPDR and point out the differences between a successfully functioning association that has the support of 21 of the Industry's leading Manufacturers.

The Napr's position is that while there are similar new formed associations we believe in order to affect true change and improve the conditions for the mobile and fixed location detailer a stronger voice is needed and the NAPDR is that voice for the past 3 years. We are an established, organized, non-profit association with by-laws a board of directors, a website discussion forum, leading manufacturer/detail membership and a proven record of success! If these are not sufficient reasons then I would understand if you made a different choice.

Allow me to share with you what our vision, mission and hope is for this association.

The NAPDR stands for Business, Education, Unity, Alliance and Progress and is an association established by detailers motivated by a sense of community for all detailers and geared to representing you and your business interests only.

Our association does not represent any special interests, is not spearheaded by manufacturers or suppliers nor is any founder or board member of the NAPDR financially engaged for profit in manufacturing and distribution of detailing products or educational training. The board is voluntary and comprised of persons actively engaged in the detailing profession. This selection is designed to avoid any conflict of interest or bias and therefore better able to represent the detailer and the manufacturer.

Isn’t time you found out why twenty (21) of the industry’s leading manufacturers, distributors and consultant have chosen to join the NAPDR?

What these manufacturers recognize is that a well run and viable detailing sector is obviously better able to have mutual long term benefits for all. Our alliances with them will ensure the availability of resources necessary to support the needs of detailer’s by creating a clearinghouse of up-to-date technology, new product lines and research and development.

The NAPDR’s mission is to enhance and promote the credibility of the members by implementing a campaign that accurately and positively raises the consumer’s awareness of the important role detailers play in car care.

The association was borne out of a lack of leadership, unity and direction within the industry. The same status quo; associations failing to inspire and motivate detailers, educators and experts promoting the same agendas year in and year out. Few support mechanisms that went beyond the internet forum discussion groups, product vendors who were often alienated from the detail community and providing outdated and unbiased training, equipment and products.

The Association has embarked on a goal to change the industry by strengthening alliances with manufacturers, by fostering deep relationships amongst peers, developing education paths to help the novice and expert detailer, and more importantly build a sense of community among members that connects them to the profession, the association and each other.

We have a track record of success and have in the last two years exhibited at the ICA International Car Wash Association and MTE Mobile Tech Expo. We have also for the last 2 years conducted FREE cutting edge unbiased education sessions featuring the latest product development, techniques and tools by some the industry’s leading experts.

Our association has been instrumental in bringing to the Car Care magazines new writers and articles to help invigorate the industry with new ideas and concepts.

Some of the benefits of membership include:

• Code of Professional Ethics (COPE)

• Member Benefits:

ü Web Site and discussion Forum for members and manufacturers

ü Free Product Samples- To demonstrate their commitment to the industry manufacturer members have pledged to give each new member a combined package of there newest products to sample at a value of $250.00.

ü Post Card Mania - Post Card, newsletter marketing

ü CompuPay Payroll and HR Services

ü Action Business coaching – Business coaching and development

ü Credit Card Inc. Merchant Services

ü Staples – Business Advantage Account

ü Front Office Staff Services Live Answering Service

ü Stuff Sites - Web Site Development

ü Stickers (NAPDR

ü Certificate of Membership

If that isn't enough to consider joining, allow me to tell you what is coming.

ADAPT (Automotive Detailing Alliance for Product Testing)

CEC (Consumer Education Council)

ECC (Environmental Compliance Council)

MAC (Manufacture Advisory Council)

DAC (Detail Advisory Council)

CETAC (Certification Education Training Advisory Council )

Detailing Trade Shows

On The Road Education Sessions

Gina Budhai
President NAPDR (National Association for Professional Detailing and Reconditioning)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2008 03:18PM by concoursgarage.
June 30, 2008 05:14PM
Yeah, Bud is cheeky as always! Sorry your thread got hijacked.

I'll be honest, I saw what Bud wrote, took a look, and signed up right away.
And I'll probably sign up to NAPDR too. Although from my point of view, there is one important difference between the two organizations... one is national, the other international.

Certainly, it sounds like NAPDR is going places... and it seems to offer a lot. but frankly, I don't expect a lot!
I'm a member of two other organizations for which we needed to be approved (including inspections), The Retail Motor Federation and the British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association which between them run into thousands of pounds per year plus the cost of the training which qualifies you for associate (not full) membership. All we get from these is a right display their badge, inclusion in a directory and subscription to a magazine. There are some other member benefits, but none we are likely to use very often.

It kind of puts things into perspective, when you think I just signed up for IDA for less than I'd spend on a meal for two. In fact, I don't think I can even subscribe for a motor magazine for that sort of money.

As I said last time, the membership dues were worth paying just for the cost of a link from the association website (currently the going rate for a link is about $60), so it's silly not to join really.

However, I tried to renew my membership of the NAPDR and was ignored. I got the impression that the people who changed it into a 'National' association were none too bothered about international members. But if you are involved with it again, I'll have to take another look.
June 30, 2008 05:34PM
You are like me realistic about the objectives of any association.

It takes time and the effort of really good people to move any association forward... Unfortunately in your case we dropped the ball on your membership during our start-up/re-organization phase and I APOLOGIZE for that and hope you will not hold it against us.

While you may not be able to use some of the benefits we offer.. OUR INDUSTRY could certainly benefit from sharing your vast experience and knowledge..

Look forward to seeing you on the site.

Gina
June 30, 2008 08:42PM
Gina,

It looks like you guys have done a great deal of work but I've been hearing some positive and mostly negative comments about how your organization is run?

I have several questions that needed to be answered from you and the board of the NAPDR before i join. We are currently a new business here in NJ and are starting fresh with our business and need some credibility from an organization like yours.

After doing a great deal of research on the web and speaking to other professionals in the field I need some questions answered which are valid points.

Are your manufacturers members of your association?
How are your members as well as your board members selected?
Do you have by laws? (IDA has clear cut rules)
What are the terms of the board of directors? and when are new elections? (heard its run like a private club)
Do you post your financial statements and other data to the members? (some members have said they have received nothing)
Are you selective as to who can be a member? (heard that some have been kicked out of the association)
What are the rules concerning membership?
Are you an International association as well?

It would be greatly appreciated as to helping me further understand your organization for I have these questions that will help me decide as to joining.

I've been reading all of the posts and web searches i could find for the past three years and now that i have implemented my business plan i am making decisions now.

Regards,

Tony Stromoboni
Tunes detailing of NJ
June 30, 2008 10:13PM
Association is no longer in existence

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2012 08:13PM by concoursgarage.
July 01, 2008 02:08AM
NAPDR

If the questions that a new detailer asks in good faith are answered in such a fashion I believe that the NAPDR may need too take a look in the mirror. The questions asked by Mr. Stromboni are valid and important. Your reason for not answering them are related to him not giving you any personal information. You will notice that I have stated my information, and am known to the industry. So here are the questions that need to be answered. Also you seem paranoid about as you put it "2 known detailers" who are you reffering too?

Are your manufacturers members of your association?
How are your members as well as your board members selected?
Do you have by laws?
What are the terms of the board of directors? and when are new elections?
Do you post your financial statements and other data to the members?
Are you selective as to who can be a member?
What are the rules concerning membership?
Are you an International association as well?

Now you have the questions asked by an identified detailer, so can we have the answers?

At Your Service
Yvan Lacroix
www.repare-brise.net

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2008 02:31AM by reparebrise.
July 01, 2008 02:58AM
Gina-
I have a few questions of my own : LOL LOL LOL
Will your organization send me a fruitcake at Christmas ? If so, deals off !

Do I have to dress up to accept the " Detailer of the Year " award ? If I wear a Zaino T Shirt, will that offend Meguiar's ?

Can we still donate money to Hillary Clinton's campaign ? Will your group match whatever I send her dollar for dollar ? Don't worry. It won't cost you anything .

Do you refuse membership to detailers who really screw up peoples' cars ? If "yes" , I can start my own group instead ...

Do you talk about people behind their back and post embarrassing photos of them on MySpace and like cut them down in front of the whole class and make fun of their clothes and beat them up and then post a video of the beating on YouTube? HMmm. This might be a fun organization...

If I wax a dude's skateboard so he slips off it, is that "detailing" ? How about if I send you the video clip ?

Do you award trophies and let us kiss the trophy girl like in racing ?

I have to know before I join ! Full disclosure ! I'm interested !
Doug
July 01, 2008 08:09AM
concoursgarage
You are like me realistic about the objectives of any association.

It takes time and the effort of really good people to move any association forward... Unfortunately in your case we dropped the ball on your membership during our start-up/re-organization phase and I APOLOGIZE for that and hope you will not hold it against us.

While you may not be able to use some of the benefits we offer.. OUR INDUSTRY could certainly benefit from sharing your vast experience and knowledge..

Look forward to seeing you on the site.

Gina
I won't hold it against you... In fact, I can fully understand that sometimes you need to focus on core business -- of which I'm not a part.

Anyway, my business partner took a look, he's impressed that you seem to have some connection with Action Business Coaching... we have been with Action for about 4.5 years now and they have really turned us around, in fact turned everything we do on it's head! I hope they can do the same for the association and it's members.

...but as he says... as we are unlikely to get any of the member benefits, do we sign up for affiliate membership? Or could you introduce International associate membership?
July 01, 2008 02:10PM
Danny:

I cannot say enough about Action Coach and how it has helped us tremendously on focusing on core business, the mission and integrity of NAPDR as an Association and our duty to the community of detailer's.

The lessons we learn help guide our actions and is the key reason why NO person on the NAPDR Board is financially engaged for profit in manufacturing and distribution of detailing products or educational training so as to avoid a conflict of interest and better able to represent the detailer and the manufacturer. Everything turned on it's head when our coach made us pledge to 'LIVE ABOVE THE LINE IN OUR THOUGHT ACTION AND DEEDS" When people see that you have a business that speaks and acts with integrity or you promote an association in a selfless manner that makes powerful statement and hope others will be encouraged to public service.

I will bring your suggestion to the Board about the International Associate Membership and I will get back to you. The rewards might not be from member benefits but from being a part of this huge chain of change in this industry..manufacturer, distributor, detailer working together to move this industry forward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2008 02:31PM by concoursgarage.
July 01, 2008 02:28PM
Doug:

I can always depend on you for a good laugh! most of us who are regular on this board KNOW the game the players involved and the subterfuge they engage
July 01, 2008 02:28PM
Doug:

I can always depend on you for a good laugh! most of us who are regular on this board KNOW the game the players involved and the subterfuge they engage in.
July 02, 2008 02:26AM
NAPDR

You have replied to other postings but have ignored mine. I would appreciate replies to my questions, as they are real questions asked by a real detailer. I appreciate that you edited out your reply directed at Mr Stromoboni, as it unprofessional to say the least.

At Your Service

Yvan
July 02, 2008 05:07AM
Yvan-
You guys ask more questions than I can dream up ! Are you sure you aren't Bud under a new name ? Because if you are, I've got two Bud's I have to argue with in addition to the "troll patrol" .
I can personally assure you that Gina's organization does not use the dues money to squire girlfriends all over the country, is not working out of a boiler room in the Watergate in D.C. , had nothing to do with the Kennedy assassination , maintains no shell corporations in the Cayman Islands, does not funnel money to subversive groups ( I include the Obama Campaign here ) , has no Swiss bank account at this time, never uses solvent-based dressings under the hood where they might catch fire and doesn't make infomercials for a miracle car wax .
I hope that is good enough - even though I guessed at it .
Gina:
Do you have a steering committee ?
Do you have task forces ?
Do you have policies and procedures ?
Do you have advisers ?
Do you have oversight ?
Do you have checks and balances ?
Do you have an auditor ?
Do you have a Code Of Ethics ?
Do you have Standards and Practices in writing ?
Do you have full-time accountants ?
Do you have a Chain of Command ?
Do you issue quarterly reports ?
Do you have an organizational chart ?
Are you non-profit ( like most professional detailers ) ?
I think I finally beat Yvan on the number of questions. My parents always said I'd make a great bureaucrat .
LSHICST ( laughing so hard I can't stand it )
Doug
July 02, 2008 08:45AM
I'll look forward to you getting back to us about the International Associate membership. I'm pretty sure that other companies in the UK, and elsewhere might find the price a bit steep seeing as there are few 'hard' member benefits they can cash in on. Of course, there is the possibility that in the future, these benefits could be extended to some other countries, after all, many of the companies involved are global already.
July 02, 2008 11:42AM
Doug

I am far from being Bud, and if you read www.mobileworks.com forum, you will also see that I do not hold back my opinions weather they be in accordance or not with Bud.

The question I ask are legitimate. now all we need are answers.

Yvan
www.repare-brise.net
July 02, 2008 02:09PM
ALL I ASKED IS FOR SOME SIMPLE ANSWERS AS TO AN ORGANIZATION AND I DID NOT EXPECT THIS CONTROVERSY.

A SIMPLE ANSWER TO MY QUESTIONS WOULD BE APPROPRIATE....

I CAN READ BETWEEN THE LINES.

THANKS

TS
July 02, 2008 11:50PM
?

San Antonio Mobile Auto Detail
Martin Hernandez
[www.saMobileCarWash.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2009 05:11PM by MartinHernandez.
HOW TO JUDGE an ASSOCIATION???
July 05, 2008 06:32PM
The following are some points that detailers might use to judge the association they are a member of, or plan to join:

Associations should engage their members. Does the association you are considering do that? Or, does the association refer to you as a grumblers, a malcontent.

Consider the following:

1. Does the association know what really matters to you, and are they delivering what you want?

2. Be honest, are you really a grumbler or malcontent are do you simply want a value from the association that they are not delievering in your opinion?

3. Does the association's Director operate the association like a "Good Ole Boy's/Girl's Club and act as the puppet master, someone behind the scene that pulls the strings and controlling the puppets.

4. Is the association's board of directors continually seeking to deliever value to the members?

5. Is the association resistent to change?

6. Is the association resistent to providing information about how the association is organized and operated?

Finally, look carefully at the association. Is it trying to serve the members or is it trying to perpetuate it's own and the board's legacy (the good ole boy's/girl's club.)

Hope that helps you in determining which associations in your industry to which you want to belong.

Regards
Bud Abraham
Proud Member of the International Detailing Association
July 06, 2008 02:45AM
Just my Opinion But...
This question and answer game smells a little. Bud isn't helping with what look like hints against Gina and her group .
It all appears to me to be a smear campaign aimed at eliminating a competitor .

If anyone has complaints, the professional thing to do is to state them plainly. All the pestering and "helpful" guidance indicates is that there is no substance to any of the unstated charges .

We all know there has been acrimony between Bud and Gina before. Bud certainly isn't trying to help anyone choose Gina . May be personal stuff here .

Doug
July 06, 2008 12:40PM
Still no answer to my previous questions........

I've made my decision about the NAPDR and its lack of providing information.

After speaking with many in the industry about their "closed door" tactics I feel best not to invest the money in their poorly run organization.

I'll see you all at the Mobile tech expo in january and will "face off" with them publicly as to my concerns since they always seem to avoid the direct questions!

Ciao,

TS
July 07, 2008 01:12AM
TS:
There are a lot of organizations that I don't join but I don't spend a lot of time worrying about them. It sounds like you've got too much time and not enough car wax on your hands .
If you have confidence in Gina, you assume she won't steer you wrong. If you don't trust her advice, you don't join . Simple.
If you seek to ruin a group's reputation, you badger and complain.

I've been reading Gina's posts here for years and I have developed too much respect for her to pay attention to you and your suspicious inquisition .

I'm tired of reading this same junk over and over, so I'm asking you nicely to stop polluting our forum and take your smear campaign elsewhere . With kindest personal regards to you and Bud, I remain...

Doug
July 08, 2008 02:08AM
Both organizations have their posistive's.

I do, tend to find it more posistive to support an organization which was founded and was created, by members of the "detailing community", one's which have a track record of many years of being successful in the detailing business, rather than one that has been started by "suppliers/manufactuer's such as my company.

We, at Automotive International, have been approached by both groups, however, we chose to stand to the side, and wait before committing to corporate support of either group.

I, in all honesty, must say, we are learning, at this point, towards the one that is supported by Gina and her group, of other long term and successful detail operations.

It does appear that this group has less of a "manufactuer" influence.

At Automotive International, we find this important, for many reasons.

Sounds strange?

Not really for the ValuGard brand, as we have a committment to the detailer industry, which goes back over 15 years, yet "detailers" are not a major portion of our sales/profit base.

The industry needs a strong, committed organization, so just give them a chance to to things right, and not in a "Oh, we must make everyone happy who are members" sort of way.

Support who you find fits your needs, "JUST GET OFF THE FENCE AND SUPPORT" the one that fits your desires, needs,and please do so in a manner that is without finding it necessary to chose and throw crap at everyone who doesn't agree with you, for they are at least working, each day, to move the industry to a posistion that the public understands.

Have any of you, have any idea of the amount on time, money, personally, some are putting into building either organization?

Those who are "detail operaters", are not making money off of selling products, so think about that, as you make your decision on who to support.

Ketch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2008 02:18AM by Grumpy2.
July 08, 2008 02:30AM
Ketch

As usual words of wisdom,

I am a member of the IDA, PAGA and CFA, all support our industry. Not being in the US the NADPR is not in my sights for now(unless they change from a national to international organisation).

What I find deplorable is the way that the NADPR answered a potential member that was asking real questions, and expecting real answers.

I am neither for or against the NADPR(I have even written articles for them), but as an association when someone answers a question directed to said group an answer is expected. I am not part of a campaigne to cause harm to the NAPDR, nor part of some backroom conspriricy to thwart there good efforts.

Soon the IDA will be having elections to get away from being a manufacturer run orgainisation to a members run one. It,s just that a group of manufacurers got together to kick start the group.

Gina

A few simple questions that have yet to be answered, and that I would appreciate an answer to(Here, PM, or E-mail).

Where are the NAPDR bylaws published?
When were the last elections for the NAPDR?
When are the next ones?
July 08, 2008 06:04AM
Hey Anthony Stromboni,

No need to wait until Florida, I will be in NY and Jersey next month give me your shop address and phone number I searched the internet for it but amazingly enough I could not find it. I will come by and make a personal visit to answer all of your questions.

Oh, by the way why do you have you email hidden.

Thanks for your interest.

The Tony Stubblefield
617.464.4481 ext.2
wwww.nedacleancar.com
Proud Member of the NAPDR
July 08, 2008 06:16AM
As a member of the Formation Committee of the INTERNATIONAL DETAILING ASSOCIATION I can tell you that this is not a manufacturer driven association, The bylaws are quite clear, the Board is made up of 4 suppliers and 4 operators. Anyone can be president, it is not limited to any particular segment.

As for experience, the IDA is an outgrowth of the very successful Professional Detailing Association that was founded in 1989 and had over 500 members.

The mistake the PDA made was to merge with the car wash association (ICA) which in the end eliminated all that the PDA had built.

The Formation Committee simply put up the money to resurrect the PDA and all that we had done in the past. We did not use the same name, because as some of you know, a detailer in the Mid-West registered the name, making it impossible to use. So, the name International Detailing Association was chosen which is really better since the goal is to have chapters in Australia; Japan, Europe, Mexico and South America, as well as any where there are detailers.

Within the next couple of weeks the nominating committee will present a slate of candidates for the membership to vote on for the first Board of Directors. They will then select the officers.

Thereafter every year there will be new people voted on to the Board so there are always experienced people on the Board. Officers will be elected yearly by the Board.

Regards
Bud Abraham
Proud Member of the IDA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login