Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Beading and protection (A Question)

Posted by billd55 
Beading and protection (A Question)
October 16, 2010 10:56PM
Bud loves to mention chemists in all his posts, so I found one under the name of TOWGT in another forum who was answering a question about wax and beading. Here is what he said: <br>

beading’ simply means that a high surface tension is present.

What most people attribute to a film surface protection being functional is the visual indicator of water beading on the paint film surface. However, all water beading proves is that high surface tension is present, just because a product creates high surface tension, (water beading / sheeting) does not guarantee the coating is actually providing real and meaningful protection <br>

I am confused. I am looking at mequiars .com and they say this:

17. Do car waxes provide real UV protection? <br>

Some waxes do contain UV-protection agents, but the amount of protection that a microscopically thin layer of wax can provide is limited <br>

The primary goal of a wax is to protect the top layers of paint that contain UV-protection agents from the paint manufacture. If you wash and wax your car regularly, your paint will be protected and you should suffer no major UV damage over the normal course of the life of the car.<br>

Don't be fooled by some companies that lead you to believe that it is the UV protection in a wax that protects your car's finish from fading and failure, this is dishonest and simply not true. Taking care of the paint you presently have will go further to protect your finish than relying on protection supplied by a liquid you pour out of a bottle, or a wax you scoop out of a can. UV protection in a car wax formula is only an extra-dose of preventative maintenance, not the end-all, cure-all that some companies would lead you to believe.<br>

TOWGT ( a chemist) says: does not guarantee the coating is actually providing real and meaningful protection.<br>

Meguiars says:The primary goal of a wax is to protect the top layers of paint that contain UV-protection agents from the paint manufacture. If you wash and wax your car regularly, your paint will be protected and you should suffer no major UV damage over the normal course of the life of the car.<br>

Then they go on and say: Don't be fooled by some companies that lead you to believe that it is the UV protection in a wax that protects your car's finish from fading and failure, this is dishonest and simply not true.<br>

Here is my question. The chemist says: does not guarantee the coating is actually providing real and meaningful protection.Meguiars says:The primary goal of a wax is to protect the top layers of paint. And then they saygrinning smileyon't be fooled by some companies that lead you to believe that it is the UV protection in a wax that protects your car's finish from fading and failure, this is dishonest and simply not true.<br>

Can anyone explain what the hell wax actually does do besides make your
car shine and bead water?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2010 11:02PM by billd55.
Re: Beading and protection (A Question)
October 17, 2010 01:50AM
I wax/seal/polish my car for the looks that the product provides. I do not care for protection. I see cars all the time that never got any wax or sealant, and just washed often that still look very good . If you need protection get a garage. My main concern is how long the luster will last after I do my car.
October 17, 2010 02:49AM
Larry
You have to be the first person who has told me that they are not concerned
with protecting their paint.How long will the luster last when your clear coat
is damaged from the sun, the elements like salt, bugs, tree sap, hard water,
acid rain,dirt and road grime? Your wax and polish will not help then.

Well you can do what others do. Buy a new car or repaint it. When I sell my cars,
they still look great, and sell fast.I keep my vehicles on average 10 years.

You mention that you wax/seal/polish. What do you mean by seal?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2010 03:01AM by billd55.
October 17, 2010 06:09AM
The ingredients in waxes or paint sealants, including acrylic paint sealants, that cause the water to bead are not ingredients that protect.

Think about it, oil makes water bead but it is not a long term protectant.

The ingredients in a wax or sealant, on the other hand, that provide protection do not cause beading.

So detailer, including know it all Buffer Bill, can really determine in any way, shape or form, whether a product protects or not.

I have seen 10 year old clear-coat finishes that have never had a wax or sealant applied to them look fantastic.

You can only tell if a given product provides protection by a laboratory test designed to test for durability.

Just a few well intentioned thoughts

BA
October 17, 2010 12:57PM
Bud

Once again you make statements that are completely wrong.First, AT-5 does not bead water.That is a fact someone who has used the product will quickly notice.

I have seen cars that are 10 years old that look like crap to, so what is your point? If I have love bugs all over the front of my car and they wash off easily with AT-5 and no damage to the clear. That would show me on aspect of protection
without a test.When tree sap is removed and it does not leave a dark spot would be another.

I have seen 10 year old clear-coat finishes that have never had a wax or sealant applied to them look fantastic. Quote from Bud

If that is the case, why then bother to but any wax or sealant on it at all.
That way you avoid the problem of swirls and fine scratches completely. Since
wax/sealant offer no protection, and cars remain shiney with just washing as you
say. Why waste the money and time?

Bud you seem to be the know it all. I know nothing about svr's products, but you do not hear me making statements about them as marketing BS.
October 17, 2010 05:02PM
Bill, you ask what I ment by seal .I ment a SEALANT. I said wax, polish, seal,just to cover everthing that you would call putting something on paint.I myself is a big user of spraywaxes/qds. That way my car shines all the time , and it takes about 10 minutes to do after a wash.
October 18, 2010 08:44AM
TOGWT is one smart cookie. Love his posts on all the forums

Bud and Bill - you are both right.

Beading and sheeting simply means that there is surface tension on the paint.
Surface tension alone doesnt protect paint.

The best way to protect paint is to put something in and on top of the paint
My system thickens the paint and becomes crystal clear paint on top of the paint
the products before those, purify the paint and enhance it with chemical cleaners
to give the paint a clarity not achievable with any other system.

Gtechniq C1 lacquer does reduce the risk of scratches by 50% but just because it makes panels extremely hydrophobic and for two years, the paint doesnt oxidise , doesnt mean its protecting completely and as good as it should

I'm all tuckered out with protection chat. Lets move on
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login