Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Secrets of the experts

Posted by bobm 
Secrets of the experts
November 03, 2010 01:02AM
Ok, who else hates the fabric that chrysler and ford use on their seats? It seems that once there is a stain in this stuff its there forever! I have tried tons of cleaners and nothing seems to get these seats clean. So I guess its time to see if there are any secrets of the experts that the experts are willing to share with an fellow detailer.????
Re: Secrets of the experts
November 03, 2010 01:58AM
I like to know too , since I have Ford.
November 03, 2010 05:31AM
Much meaning can be conveyed, clearly, with our eyes, so it is often said that eyes can speak.

Do you have such kind of experience? In a bus you may look at stranger, but not too long. And if he is sensing that he is being stared at, he may feel uncomfortable.

The same in daily life. If you are looked at for more than necessary, you will look at yourself up and downbuy wow gold, to see if there is anything wrong with you. If nothing goes wrong, you will feel angry toward other’s stare with you that way. Eyes do speak, right?

Looking too long at someone may seem to be rude and aggressive. But things are different when it comes to stare at the opposite sex. If a man glances at a woman for more than 10 seconds and refuses to avert his gaze, his intentions are obvious, that is, he wishes to attract her attention, to make her understand that he is admiring her.

However, the normal eye contact for two people engaged in conversation is that the speaker will only look at the listener from time to time, in order to make sure that the listener does pay attention to what the former is speaking, to tell him that he is attentive.

If a speaker looks at you continuously when speaking, as if he tries to dominate you, you will feel disconcerted. A poor liar usually exposes himself by looking too long at the victim, since he believes in the false idea that to look straight in the eye is a sign of honest communication. Quite the contrary.

In fact, continuous eye contact is confined to lovers only, who will enjoy looking at each other tenderly for a long timewow gold, to show affection that words cannot express.

Evidently, eye contact should be done according to the relationship between two people and the specific situation.
November 03, 2010 12:32PM
Another spammer
November 03, 2010 06:36PM
Bob are you talking about the big round stains i find in lots of vehicles that look like water spots? If so heres a combo that i use that works most of the time. Auto magics ez clean fabric and upholstery cleaner , steam with commercial steamer , then heated extraction with ro water. When you use a heated extractor. with hard water the minerals in the water can leave stains, learned that years ago good luck
November 04, 2010 12:29AM
Well, Zhen, thanks for the advice but Im afraid it has nothing to do with stains in carpet upholstery. Please eat a bag of monkey turds and die. Thanks for the post pro mobile, but no, Im speaking of just plain ol ugly discoloration in this material, weather it be coffee or sweat, who knows what it is but it sure is tough to get this material clean. I have extracted it with my 200 degree extractor after treating it with every chemicle at my disposal many many times, oftentimes several times in the same car. Today I tried a combination of, heated extraction, let full dry. soak down with automagic citrus spot treater, stiff brush, then soak it down with the general motors spot lifter Im so fond of and finally extract it with my shopvac. Il let you know tomorrow how it turned out as the fans are on it now drying it out....again.
November 04, 2010 12:34AM
What? 53 views and only on expert willing to post a helpfull message? Come on 'professional expert detailers', put up or shut up!
November 04, 2010 02:05PM
OK, Bob, Here's what we use to tackle the majority of the problem stains.

First, we lightly spray down the cloth with Pro-Max. Let dwell for a few minutes.

Second, we use our steamer with a "Diaper Wrap" and aggitate. This will usually get most stains out.

On some stains we will also use "Spot Shot" available at many big box stores.
November 04, 2010 06:06PM
Bob

I use a product called Greased Lightning for cleaning carpets and seats.
[www.greased-lightning.com]

This is what I do. I take a garden hose and wet the dirty areas with water.
Then I spray the greased lightning on and brush it in with a nylon brush.
Wet it again with water and extract it with a shop vac.

Extractors do not apply enough water.You need to SOAK the fabric to lift the crap out.A heated mist of water will not work.Spraying a chemical alone on something
will not work either.

As I have mentioned before, extractors work well for average applications.
Although, for the cars you keep talking about, they do'nt.What you consider wet,and what I consider wet are not the same.

Trust me, they will dry out with fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2010 06:08PM by billd55.
November 04, 2010 06:26PM
You've got to be kidding about using "Greased Lightning" and a hose to soak the interior, RIGHT! I guess if you don't mind creating a breading ground for mold and mildew, it's ok. I would NEVER consider this method a viable solution for cleaning any of my clients carpets or seats. You are kidding, Right!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2010 07:09PM by midnight1700.
November 04, 2010 07:42PM
Bill when is the last time you used an extractor? Might I recommend you go to a local janitorial company and have them come out to your site or better yet loan you several types of shampoo extractors to try out for a few days... You will discover how much they have changed/improved and what a great and indispensable tool they are to a professional detailer.

Great results for carpet and upholstery cleaning requires good prepration and an understanding of the fibers and stains you are dealing with. After you have treated them, agitated to loosen the soiling and grease.. shampooing then becomes an easy task to lift and carry away the grease and dirt in the fibers. There is absolutely no reason to be saturating the seats and carpets with water as this will only create a bigger problem of wicking and a reappearance of the stains. There are some really great machines out there my personal choice is cfr machines for its low moisture tools.
November 04, 2010 11:02PM
Gina and midnight

Would you get off this mold kick.I have done this many times, and mold has never
been a issue.I am not saying to leave the water to soak for days.I have done
cars that have been flooded with water when they drove into standing water and stalled.I used fans,a wet vac, and pulled back the carpet. It had no wicking
issues or mold.

Clearly, Bob has used an extractor and it has not worked.If you have done these type of interiors you would understand. Clearly you have not.These are ones that have never been cleaned,and a shampooing or extractor will not work.If that
was the case, why has Bob brought this issue up twice?

As I have said 3 times, this method is for these interiors only.When you do
auction and dealership vehicles some are real dogs.

Gina, the last thing you should worry about with these interiors is wicking as you call it.IMO this is caused from not fully cleaning the fabric.As it drys,
the stain comes back from the crap that was not removed using an extractor or shampooing.

This is something you do not learn in a class. It comes from experience. I have
run into this problem in the past. It has worked for me many times, and never a complaint.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2010 11:15PM by billd55.
November 04, 2010 11:54PM
a very good friend shared this today and Bill I will share this with you...

"Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life."

Dr. David M. Burns
November 05, 2010 12:37AM
Well folks, on this one Jeep I have tried the following in this order. intense vacuuming of seats, nylon brush aggressively, revacuum, treat all seats with my favorite spot remover, brush aggressively, towell dry, result-fail retreat all seats with a solvent based spot remover, brush aggressively, towell dry, result-fail reapply both spot treatments, one quart of each product on four seats, brush aggressively, extract with 200 degree extractor, towell dry and air dry, result-fail reapply degreaser to all seat surfaces, brush aggressively no change, spray stains with naptha solvent and extract with shopvac, result lighter seats with stains in em. result- fail. I give up, tomorrow I will mask the seats and dye them a nice tan color. And yes, I have even pressure washed some really disgusting seats before, but I dont feel that seats of this nature would dry without massive water stains. I really dislike this material. Thank you to all who responded!
November 05, 2010 03:43AM
Bob i notice one thing missing on your list, STEAM! Its a potent combo you must try in the future.I also am wondering if Gina has actually cleaned a dirty vehicle before? Me and the wife watch a real estate show and richmond is just too pretty and clean to have any dirty vehicles ;-). On a serious note Gina what psi pumps do you use 100,150, 200, 500 ,adjustable? or does yours just have mist mode as bill said ;-) thx
November 05, 2010 12:55PM
billd55
Gina and midnight

Would you get off this mold kick.I have done this many times, and mold has never
been a issue.I am not saying to leave the water to soak for days.I have done
cars that have been flooded with water when they drove into standing water and stalled.I used fans,a wet vac, and pulled back the carpet. It had no wicking
issues or mold.

Clearly, Bob has used an extractor and it has not worked.If you have done these type of interiors you would understand. Clearly you have not.These are ones that have never been cleaned,and a shampooing or extractor will not work.If that
was the case, why has Bob brought this issue up twice?

As I have said 3 times, this method is for these interiors only.When you do
auction and dealership vehicles some are real dogs.

Gina, the last thing you should worry about with these interiors is wicking as you call it.IMO this is caused from not fully cleaning the fabric.As it drys,
the stain comes back from the crap that was not removed using an extractor or shampooing.

This is something you do not learn in a class. It comes from experience. I have
run into this problem in the past. It has worked for me many times, and never a complaint.

I have personally had to remove mold and mildew from cars that have been previously "Cleaned" using this "technique" for cleaning interiors. It's a very expensive mistake the owner had to deal with. Of course the "detailer" who performed the "cleaning" didn't have insurance and denied the fact he saturated the interior with water. I think I'll continue my present method of interior cleaning at least until something new comes along and is proven safe.
November 05, 2010 06:01PM
< Bob i notice one thing missing on your list, STEAM! Its a potent combo you must try in the future.I also am wondering if Gina has actually cleaned a dirty vehicle before? Me and the wife watch a real estate show and richmond is just too pretty and clean to have any dirty vehicles ;-). On a serious note Gina what psi pumps do you use 100,150, 200, 500 ,adjustable? or does yours just have mist mode as bill said ;-) thx>

It is really amazing the difference in how men and women think and how we engage each other... Why is it when a women speaks she needs to qualify herself or why do I have to prove to anyone that I clean dirty seats and carpets. The fact is if you are seriously engaged in the detailing industry and you have not narrowed your market to pristine exotics only... cleaning dirty carpets and seats is a daily part of what you do. We have set ourselves apart from other detailing establishments by taking jobs that are simply impossible for most...

Our carpet shampoo extractors are adjustable to 1000psi with the industry's best low moisture extracting tools
November 05, 2010 09:53PM
midnight

As I said earlier this method is used for certain interiors only.I cannot comment
on what some other detailer did on your customers vehicle without seeing the vehicle myself.

You can use any method you feel comfortable with. Although,I have the right to
express my thoughts on the matter without your remarks thank you.

I would NEVER consider this method a viable solution for cleaning any of my clients carpets or seats. You are kidding, Right!

I did not make any comments on your suggestions even know I feel they are completely wrong IMO for this application.

Gina
Why do you have to make this a woman thing? Many detailers have not done these
types of interiors before.These are not your average dirty interior. These
vehicles have been owned by complete pigs who have never thought one moment that
they should clean their vehicles.

I did one once where I filled a trash can with junk from the trunk and interior
There were cock roaches all over the place, and the carpet was black from everything known to man.Trust me, no extractor or steamer would have worked.

Once again, I have used extractors, and they do work well for most applications. Although, not in this case.

The method I use works if you know what you are doing. It requires time to make sure everything is dry to avoid mold, but it does work well.Of course if you leave something soaking wet it will lead to mold,but it is completely wrong to
think you can clean something like this situation without water.Even an extractor
uses water.

Bob made it clear that his extractor was not working, and asked for another suggestion.I gave him my opinion, but for some reason you and midnight have a problem with it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2010 10:09PM by billd55.
November 06, 2010 12:31AM
Damn, a 1000 psi extractor?! guess my old 60 psi unit is getting outdated! And yup, I dyed the seats today, they at least look uniform i guess.
November 06, 2010 12:26PM
Bob what are you dyeing the seats with? do you have any pictures?
November 07, 2010 01:51AM
I do take pictures of some of the cars we do, if I remember. I still dont know how to post pictures here though. For dye I go to my local auto paint supply store and have them mix me up interior dye/paint for that vehicle year make and model. I always clean the seats as best I can but when that fails and the only other option is to replace the material I spray the dye on the fabric lightly and brush it in. I repeat this process two or three times to work the dye into the material as deeply as i can and still keep it soft. I used to apply it with alot of flex additive in my spray gun but its easier to just get it in a pressurized can from the parts store for about twenty bucks per can. It is very easy to get too much onto the fabric at one time so I stress again, very light application, almost a fogging and nylon brushing over and over.
November 07, 2010 01:29PM
After this procedure is it obvious the seat has been painted/dyed?
November 08, 2010 12:40AM
No it is not obvious.The colors are custom matched by the parts store to that year make model interior as per their chip catalogs or preferebably I usually bring in a piece of the interior and they can match it with their machine to be a perfect match. As I mask the interior pretty carefully there is no overspray and I am carefull to blend any part of a seat that I do not dye. Light but immediate brushing is required. Vinyl or leather interiors are easier to repair and dye.
November 08, 2010 03:00PM
Around here we do not see too much dyed fabric seats...Last week we cleaned some seats that had horrific stains camouflaged by paint. We were successful in removing the paint and the stains and returned the seat to perfect condition.

What we have been seeing a lot of is dyed carpets and seats in the used car market. Instead of detailing there is a national company working on dealer lots that spray everything for about $40.00... When you start cleaning all the dye comes off in sheets and the carpets
November 09, 2010 12:50AM
Thats not cool, I only do this as a last resort, after every other attempt has failed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login