Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

more power

Posted by patrick hines 
more power
October 07, 2003 10:47PM
Thank you all for responding to my questions. I think I'm set on the 68 gto with hide-away lights. That car just looks scary coming down the street! My question now is this: If I have a 400 motor (with which I believe came with 350 hp standard), what can be done to beef it up to around 425 hp? Keep in mind I am by no means a mechanic, but I have tinkered around with engines before.(heads, carbs, manifolds, cams, etc.) I want something that can be driven on the street, but that can also take charge when the punk in his little tricked out Honda civic with glowing wheels and a muffler that sounds like a bee hive pulls up next to me. Also, is it possible to have a motor with 425 hp that can run on 93 octane? What kind of costs am I looking at, and do I have to be an "expert" to do some of this myself? One last question: Did any Pontiac motors, especially in GTOs ever come from the factory with headers? If not, why not?
Re: more power
October 08, 2003 05:43PM
I worked at the pontiac plant from 1965 to 1997. When the GTO's were coming down the line I only saw 1, 69 GTO and 1, 69 Grand Prix with factory headers. Those two cars were special orders bound for Saudi Arabia.
October 08, 2003 06:02PM
Why do you think that they never produced gtos off the assembly lines with headers? I remember putting headers on my 68 firebird 350, and those cast iron exhaust manifolds were very heavy and very narrow inside. How much more horsepower do you think a set of headers would add to a 400 cu 350 hp engine?
October 08, 2003 08:49PM
the headers I saw were cast iron 4 inch headers. the headers took the hp up from 365 to about 390 hp. I don't know why they didn't produce them with headers but at the time they were experimenting with a 485ci engine that ran 450 hp. There were even a few experimental GTO's with 421 tripower in them. I think about 50-100 of them. Pontiac Motors in Pontiac, Mi has the basement full of those cars but won't sell them.
October 08, 2003 11:59PM
It's amazing to learn about what "could have been" at that time.
I have to admit, I'm not a goat owner,but I found this board this board about six months ago, and I still read it every day.Once a get my 67 Buick Skylark finished this spring, I may sell it to provide the cash for my future GTO (who knows, it may even be a roller!)
Jeff
October 10, 2003 05:58AM
there are a few way's. get a bigger cam but not to big around 274 -276H so you wont have to change valve keeper's and touqe converter etc. isky-cam hyd not a soild cam,put some road's anti pump up's Hyd, lifter's or better yet roller lifter's roller rocker's cloyes true dbl roller never a single. timeing chain mallory unilite comp 9000 dist or just a unilite, edelbrock performer manifoldor RPM a set of hooker header's And you can do it all you'r self ,think about changeing guide plates to a hardend set and get some hardend push rod's isky is the best for your bang most of this you can get from PAW and would cost around $800.00 wcarb looking at a cool $1000.00 andding most of these you should be around 425 hp's and you can run w/pump full but youll nead to add some 109 every fill up to keep her happy... TRavis Williams @ Ed Williams Machine
68 HO ram air 1. 56,ooo orig, miles
and a 68 gto convert in the work's P.S the std motor for gto 400-was 335 hps.w-A/C. 340 w/out A/C 350,was you reg,these other's are High Putputs 360 HO,366 HO ram AIr enjoy

travis williams
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login