Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

two 66 gto concerns

Posted by MIKE HRABOVSKY 
two 66 gto concerns
December 21, 2003 11:02PM
Help, GTO fans and mechanics of the 66 model:
Have had a perplexing problem with my aftermarket installed Pioneer under the dash radio/cd player. When the car is shut off the memory on the radio apparently is still draining a tiny amount of juice from the battery. After 3-4 days battery is dead as a doornail. If I disonnect the memory wire the problem goes away! Does a radio memory drain this much juice?
Place where radio was installed had two technicians look at the installation and they swear the memory should never drain that much juice!!
Any suggestions?????

Also, will be converting my 66 with 4 speed, tripower, 389, from manual to power steering. I have been told I need the following:
Pump, gearbox, pitman arm, rag joint, pulley, brackets to attach the pulley to the engine and brackets to adjust the alternator. Everyone says to get the right amount of brackets for the pump pulley and the alternator.....
An yone agree or disagree with what I have listed?

Help please, with both problems. Big Mike
Re: two 66 gto concerns
December 22, 2003 02:51PM
MIKE,
THE CURRENT DRAW FROM STEREO MEMORY SHOULD BE ALMOST NOTHING. IT CAN BE CHECKED WITH A GOOD DIGITAL VOLT METER HOOKED INLINE. (CAN'T MEASURE CURRENT ACROSS THE CONDUCTOR). THE READING SHOULD BE IN THE VERY LOW MILI AMPS. UNLESS YOU HAVE A SERIOUSLY DEFECTIVE STEREO, YOUR PROBLEM IS ELSEWHERE.
MARK.
Re: two 66 gto concerns
December 23, 2003 11:00AM
All you need is a power steering gearbox and the PS pump, and the proper brackets for your alternator and PS pump. The pitman arm should be the same. The brackets hold your alternator and PS pump. Then you just need the proper double pulleys on the water pump and cranshaft (harmonic balancer) to make everything work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login