Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

69 GTO Manual Trans Code

Posted by md1twal3 
69 GTO Manual Trans Code
June 17, 2004 09:33PM
I have found a bunch of information about engine codes, head codes, intake codes, etc, and even transmission codes. I am having a hard time understanding the manual transmission codes and was hoping for some help.

I have a 69 GTO Judge, 4 spd close ratio trans. I am trying to find something close to the build date of the car that was mid Feb. (Anything that is late Dec is acceptable for me)

Can someone demonstrate or provide the code sequencing that I need to be looking for in my quest for a trans? I realize that the VIN stamping won't be correct, but I want the rest to be close.

Next question is, does someone have what I need?

Thanks!

TW - Judge Under Resurection
Re: 69 GTO Manual Trans Code
June 18, 2004 03:09AM
I'M NOT EXACTLY SURE WHAT YOU MEAN? WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO FIGURE OUT? TANS. CODES ARE USUALLY FOUND ON A STICKER ON THE DOOR OR DOOR JAMB,OR ON THE TRA. YOUR GIVEN A LETTER,A SERIES OF LETTERS,OR #'S. THE CODE WILL GIVE YOU THE RATIO FOR YOU TRANS,AXLES&REAR SUS. IHOPE THAT HELPED!
June 18, 2004 05:13PM
Is what I am trying to figure out is if I go to a swap meet and find a transmission, how do I read the code on it to know if it is a close ratio 4 spd that was build in late Dec of 68, Jan/Feb of 69?

I have seen all of the coding data on web sites, but just can't figure out and visualize what it would look like on an actual transmission.

So, what you mentioned isn't really what I am looking for. Maybe by my restating my problem, you will be able to help.

Thanks for your response!
June 21, 2004 09:16PM
M-21 close ratio mucie 4 spd codes are
A= 2.52:1 wide ratio
B=2.2:1 close ratio
C=2.2:1 rock crusher beginning in 68 the cars last eight numbers of vin were stamped on the trannmission as with all production tere are exception to the rule.
prefix plant tansmission type
A clevland manual power glide
B " " turbo hydra matic
C " " power glide
CA hydra matic turbo hydra matic
D Saginaw over drive
E mckinnon power glide
H muncie 3 spd
K mckinnon 3spd
L GM of canada turbo hydra matic
M muncie 3spd w/over drive
N muncie 4 spd
O saginaw over drive
P muncie 3 & 4 spd
R saginaw 4 spd
S muncie 3 spd
S saginaw 3 spd
T toledo power glide
X clevland turbo hydra matic
Y toledo turbo hydra matic
64/66 ranmissions carried serial number which consisted of a plant prefix letter a productiondate & day or nighttime shift
stamped left hand side near top forward of the bellhouseing
model identification code auto
were stamped on a metal tag located right side production code stamped on right side tranny case ahead of extension
carried serial number which consisted of a plant prefix letter a production date & day/night time shift suffix R315N muncie 4 spd built on march 15 during the night shift in 1967 the serial number was changed it consisted of a plant prefix letter year number month production(with a letter instead of number)
A=jan
B=feb
C=march
D=april
E=may
H=june
K=jully
M=aug
P=sept
R=oct
S=nov
T=dec
N7B27= muncie 4 spd built feb 27 oct, 21, 68 another code was added to prifix the plant prefix number to identify muncie transmission ratio
muncie 3 spd A=3:03.1 (cool smiley=2.42:1 muncie 4 spd (A)=1:52:1 wide ratio
(cool smiley=2.2:1 close ratio (C) 2:2:1 ROCK CRUSHER
beginning in 1968 the cars last eight numbers of VIN were placed on the transmission as with all productions there are exceptions to the rule good sources has a 67 GTO with the VIN number on it.
PT = 400 2 barrel app
1234 transmissin serial number application code
PT 400 2 barrel
PQ 400 RAM AIR and HO
PX 400 all none RA none 2 barrel 67 to 70 turbo hydra matic transmisson codes also in 1967 PX is a 400 HO /RA any of these code should help you these code run from 64 to 7? these are all codes for pontiac GM
Travis the pontiac guy smiling smiley

travis williams
June 28, 2004 05:58PM
Whew...that is a lot of information! OK...let me see if I have this right:

I have a 1969 GTO Judge, Close ratio M-21 4 speed with Ram Air 400 that was built on Feb 23, 1969.

Lets say that I will be looking for a trans that was built in Dec of 68. So the code will look like:

N T28 B B PQ 12345678

(N= M21 Muncie, T28= Dec 28. B= 4 speed, B= close ratio, PQ= 400 Ram Air, 12345678= last 8 of VIN)

IS THIS THE CORRECT DECODING AND SEQUENCE FOR THE CODING???
July 07, 2004 09:42PM
that would be it..... hope you luck Travis the pontiac guy

travis williams
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login