Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ASE certification -- Opinions needed

Posted by Brian Angelucci 
ASE certification -- Opinions needed
July 10, 2004 05:22PM
<HTML>In the works now with approaching the good people at ASE to consider developing a certification exam for Detailing Technicians. The closest form of ASE certification we can receive is Paint Refinishing.

I'd like everyones opinions on this. Do you feel we need certification or no? State your reasons why.

Personally, I only take my vehicles to ASE certified mechanics shall something go wrong I can't fix myself. Sure same would benefit detailers!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Re: ASE certification -- Opinions needed
July 10, 2004 06:32PM
<HTML>I think it is a great idea, and one that could benefit many detailers. The ASE logo is seen by mnay customers as a sign of qualified knowlegable technicians. I read somewhere that as many as 8 out of 10 people will choose a repair shop that has ASE certified technicans over one that hasn't. If you take a quick look through the yellow pages, you will see that almost every auto and body shop has the ASE or ICAR logo featured in the advert.

I am sure that many will debate the worth of the certification, but I think it has the potential to become a great asset to detailers, another sign of reassurance for the customer, same as with the BBB logo.

One thing is for sure, Motor vehicle technology wont stand still, it evolves everyday. If you keep a close eye on the industry, as many of us do, you will see that the big manufactureres are constantly looking for new ideas, more features to set them apart from the competition. The interiors of cars are constantly changing, touch screen control panels, OCS , HUD in the windshields, all presenting new challenges for the detailer. The exterior too, sensors mounted on the outside of the vehicle already, constantly changing paint types and colors, Nano clear, Sollx, and those paints that look a different color depending on which way the light is shining and which way you look at them.

Motor vehicle technology will only get more complex , it is up to the detailers to move with the times and get trained or certified, or get left behind. ASE would be agreat step in the right direction.

Jim.</HTML>
July 10, 2004 06:52PM
<HTML>Very well said Jim!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 11, 2004 08:10PM
<HTML>Anytime you increase your knowledge I think it's a good thing. If there can be some form of useful course that can improve a detailer's skills than I am all for it. Having the ASE certification probably won't change the world but it won't hurt any either. Sign me up if and when you find anything out!
Something I feel would be more beneficial would be standardized business training courses for detailers. Too many guys get into this business and have no chance at success because they don't have the skills needed to successfully run a small business regardless of how good of a detailer they may be. Bud may be able to provide some added insight as he strongly advises business skills in addition to the detailing skills when operating a detailing business.</HTML>

July 11, 2004 08:20PM
<HTML>Jim:

There is no reason to debate the worth of a certification, as long as the proper training is involved. Once you have the experience and knowledge there is no debate. A lot of us probably have what it takes to become certified at this present time, but a certification in-hand would surely prove of your involvement in professional training on many levels.</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
July 11, 2004 10:05PM
<HTML>Stephen, excellent points.

Scott, great suggestions.

Thanks guys.

Jim.</HTML>
July 15, 2004 06:22PM
<HTML>Very Good Points,and I agree with you guys totaly on this ASE Certification. I think that in North, Carolina mechanics have to be certified. I know when my daughter opened her shop all Mechanics had to have that certification to be in business there in Raleigh. This probably would help boost the Detailing Profession,and I think that is what Bud Abraham is talking about, in getting out from under the Shade Trees,and Back Alley set ups...Brandy!</HTML>
<HTML>I think it's a great idea. Anything that can add more professionalism to the profession can only be good.

I think nearly everyone who owns a car has heard of ASE certification, whether they know what it means or not.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login