Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Up-sells-how do you determine and present the need for the service?

Posted by Grumpy 
Up-sells-how do you determine and present the need for the service?
November 16, 2004 02:29AM
<HTML>Fair question and one that requires each to consider their "sales and presentation" abilities!

To attain a "high close rate", takes some real "salesmanship", the ability to make the customer comfortable and "listen" to what you have to say.

The "presentation" should be done in a "professional manner", do you not agree?

What do you do to create the sense of "professional" in the mind and thoughts of the customer?

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
<HTML>There's always the basics...being polite, friendly, and making the customer feel welcome and glad they came to your business, whether it's in person or over the phone. Other basics include professional attire, a clean and orderly shop and office, mow the grass out front regularly, keeping finished customer vehicles outside in a neat row, etc. If you can manage these tasks, it will make the rest of your presentation much easier.

Next, you need to be able to convey your extensive knowledge of detailing and make recommendations to your customer without making them feel like a schmuck. Instead of saying "Man, why do you go through all those brush type car washes? Look at all these scratches", you'd be better to say, "Thanks for bringing your car by. I see you have quite a few of light scratches. We'll be able to buff out most of these out, here's how......"

Of course, volumes of books are written about sales presentations and closing the sale. As a former sales manager for an equipment manufacturer, I learned early on that concentrating on the basics, as briefly described above, will make a world of difference in your attitude and how you "come across" to a customer, again making your sales pitch much more successful.

Robert

www.americanautoshine.com</HTML>
Re: Up-sells-how do you determine and present the need for the service?
November 17, 2004 02:16AM
<HTML>Great and professional reply to the question.

Is it not disappointing to see that most detail operators are spending all their time trying to find the "magic" polish, cleaner, etc, rather than take some time to understand that first and foremost, they are operating a "business" and a "business" requires paying customers to be successful and profitable?

If most, as Bud, Steve Okum, and others, myself included, continually point out to the industry, just understood that being a "business person" is at least, if not more, important to them as what friggen wax to use, more would survive more than a couple of years, and make a good living.

It's is sorry state of affairs, and so sad that so many don't take part in this sort of thread, but will jump in and rant and rave about what wax is better and why everyone else should use that product.

Just an observation, one that I have been observing for going on for over 25 years.

Ketch</HTML>

November 17, 2004 02:27AM
<HTML>"It's is sorry state of affairs, and so sad that so many don't take part in this sort of thread, but will jump in and rant and rave about what wax is better and why everyone else should use that product. "

Yea but have you seen a finish with 29 coats of BOOM BOOM wax!?</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
November 17, 2004 02:51AM
<HTML>Only once, since then, I have been blind, but that's ok, my buddies tell me the car is still setting in the garage, where it has been since the blinding and looks friggen great!

Even if I could still see, I would not take it out in the elements, cause that shine that blinded me might go away.

Old Blind Man</HTML>

<HTML>I guess my passion is not being a detailer, it is instead being an entrepreneur. This would be the case no matter what type of business I'm in. After all, how excited can you get about cleaning the grime out of someone's car? I worked enough years for other people, only to have them in charge of what I do. When I turn the key in the front door every morning, I know that it's completely up to me how this all turns out. To me, that is where the passion lies. How I treat my employees and customers, where to invest in equipment and inventory, etc., etc., is all up to me. Whether it flops or takes off, I'm holding the bag. It's about the hardest way to make a living, but certainly can be the most satisfying!

Robert

www.americanautoshine.com</HTML>
November 17, 2004 05:09AM
<HTML>Years ago, when I worked in retail, there was a saying that went something like .."in order to sell Mr Smith what Mr Smith wants, we have to know what Mr Smith needs "...

Now days at the dealership, I get called to the front whenever the service guys have a customer that wants a detailing service, and I still go back to that saying. Automotive customers , after decades of being ripped off by salesmen, unethical technicians, are very weary of any automotive establishment. Your first step has to truly be identifying what the customer really needs , not what you think you would like to do. Upselling things to increase your profit is a sensible thing to do, but you have to draw a line between upselling and over selling. If you have advertised prices , the customer has that price in their mindset, go way over it with extras and you can kiss that customer good bye.

Just as important, you have to justify , in the customers eyes, that the extra product you are selling them, is not just a luxury service, but needed preventative maintenance.

Wish I had more time to respond to this thread, but the association is taking every spare minute I have right now.

Jim Hammill.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login