Licensed and insured
August 28, 2005 02:39AM
<HTML>I passed an electical companay van the other day and on it was written "licensed and insured". Now to the best of my knowledge you do not have to be licensed to detail, although I know a lot of detailers would like it, but I also know it is wise to be insured. My question is, do any of you put this on your advertising, business cards, company vehicles, etc. and do people actually ask if you are insured and has it helped you to get business?</HTML>

Thanks
Mark
Re: Licensed and insured
August 28, 2005 03:16AM
<HTML>No one has ever asked but I put Licensed and insured on some of my advertising. Licensed as in my business is licensed with the state and it is legitimate. I think it makes people for comfortable knowing that if anything happened, that you are covered and you will be around for a while.</HTML>
August 28, 2005 04:36AM
<HTML>I choose not to include it on my printed material. I try hard to present myself and my business as pro. and I think most just assume I am.

I have been asked a number of times if I had insurance. Oddly enough the people that ask usually don't use me! I have no idea why.

In So. California it is the law to have a business license in every city that you conduct business in.</HTML>

Superior Shine-Covina, Ca.

Please join me in giving thanks to our men and women who serve in the name of our freedom and cannot be home with their families. Please include them in your prayers.
August 28, 2005 01:50PM
<HTML>I make occassional mention in my promotional efforts, but really very little.

I can't recall ever being asked about insurance! That really surprises me, although my location/retail storefront afford great credibility.

Our clients are almost all well educated, wealthy professionals, but...

Sorta funny that our 2 largest clients (Progressive Ins and Enterprise Leasing) never asked about insurance!

Jim</HTML>

&quot;If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it.&quot;
August 29, 2005 01:09AM
<HTML>What kind of work do you do for Progressive Jim? Also, how did you get a foot in the door? I am looking for creative ideas to get more business in the door this winter and insurance companies have been the one nut that I have never been able to crack. Up here in the great white north they all seem to just leave it in the hands of the body shops doing work for them who in turn subcontract out the work to the cheapest shops so they can mark up the bill.</HTML>

August 29, 2005 10:08AM
<HTML>Hey Scott! Progressive has a Claim Center less than a half a mile away - so I guess that helps. Initially, they saw our work on Black cars via a local Body Shop. We are now their only choice, and we get some fairly dramatic situations, including biohazards. Enterprise has a rental location in our retail complex - but we now get work from their headquarters operation... currently working on a minivan that transported oysters from the East Coast - what a horrible smell! It was detailed by a Chevy Dealer, but still reaked when they brought it to us... a combination of VG's Odor Terminator, vinegar and the extractor seems to be working, with the help of the ozonator.

I like the challenges from these large clients, plus they pay well for professional results.

Hope this helps.

Jim</HTML>

&quot;If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it.&quot;
August 29, 2005 12:31PM
<HTML>A lot of my customers ask for proof of insurance. Car dealers, marinas and property managers (for office parks) all require proof of insurance before working on their property. it makes good sense tohave your contractors covered. I also use insurance as a selling point wehn dealing with customers. They love to tell me about their cousins, nephews friend who does a great job for $40. VT doesn't require a business liscense.</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
Mobile Auto and Boat Detailing
September 01, 2005 02:21PM
<HTML>boys do i have news for you.i just got back in from tampa and training with blending colors,i opened my mail and found a letter from my biggest dealer account.they are making all outside venders carry liability insurance but heres the catch ,they are telling you how much you must have.as it stands right now they want about 4 million personel coverage and another 1 mill on there autos and a list of my employees.i contacted them on this matter and was told it saves them a ton of money and that they are just passes there expenes on to us.</HTML>
September 01, 2005 05:48PM
<HTML>dave rosh:

WOW!!!

Yet another huge expense on top of this ever rising fuel cost!!!!!!</HTML>

Auto Appearances Inc , Raleigh NC (919) 812-4759
September 02, 2005 11:40PM
<HTML>Dave I hope you pass that expense right back to them .</HTML>

Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are seldom good !
September 03, 2005 06:55PM
<HTML>jerry thats a great thought but in the real world were all replacable,and most dealers know it.theres always a guy down the street ready to cut your prices by a dollar.ill just pay more ins and clean more cars.</HTML>
September 04, 2005 03:57AM
<HTML>That's funny. I have some dealers here in town sending work to a guy that claims to detail cars "after hours". From what I hear, he is doing the cars in his garage at home after he gets home from his regular job. I seriously doubt that he is properly insured (if insured at all) and none of them seem to give a hoot. I seriously doubt that any of them will be pleased if something happens while he has a car and he's not covered but hey in the mean time they are saving a couple of bucks per car. Typical dealer stupidity. On a further note, one of the dealers in town let their cleaners go that usually cleaned the shop, showroom and offices and began to just give a mechanic a few extra bucks to wash out the bays every night to save money. After a year or so of doing this now a mechanic and wash bay kid got blood poisoning due to the formation of black mold. The mechanic wasn't cleaning the bays properly and the mold grew out of control underneath all the tool boxes and in the wash bays and they almost had their entire service department shut down by the city. Ended up costing them a pretty penny to decontaminate the whole work area too. These guys truly never get it.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login