Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Worlds best wax, $99 for 3ozs. It would not take me 7 years to figure out this scam.

Posted by billd55 
Worlds best wax, $99 for 3ozs. It would not take me 7 years to figure out this scam.
September 04, 2010 03:11PM
Car Wax Reviews
Read on Our Recommended Best Car Wax for your Car

* Car Wax Black
* Car Wax Reviews
* Carnauba Car Wax versus Synthetic Polymer Sealants
* Meguiar’s Wax
* MOTHERS WAX
* Turtle Wax
* Zaino Wax
* Zymol Wax

MOTHERS California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax | MOTHERS Reflections Advanced Car Wax | Meguiar’s GOLD CLASS Clear Coat Car Wax Review | Meguiar’s NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 Paste | Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell | Turtle Wax Carnauba Cleaner Wax Review | Meguair’s Ultimate Quik Wax | MOTHERS California FX SynWax | Turtle Wax 1-Step Wax and Dry Review |
Zymol Carbox Wax Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell Meguiars Wax Mothers California Gold Mothers FX SynWax
Are Expensive Car Waxes Better Than Cheaper Ones?

By M. Maxx

A lot of times car enthusiasts are bombarded with ads featuring car care products that are very expensive. Usually these ads run on Home TV Shopping Networks featuring fancy scientific tests. These tests generally are exaggerated and sometimes even featuring waxes that can “resist” laser beams.

The point of this article is to discuss whether or not expensive car waxes that you see often see on TV are better than that can of paste our fathers have been using for the last 20 years.

Point 1: Law of Diminishing Returns

Waxes can generally be divided into price points. First we have the value waxes costing less than 10 dollars. Next are the “top of the line” consumer waxes hovering at around 20 dollars. Around the $50 dollar mark are waxes whose brand names are only familiar to those who detail their cars.

Waxes can cost well beyond 200 dollars. Generally speaking the most expensive waxes do not offer a linear scale of quality. In other words a 200 dollar tin can of high end wax will not give a gloss that is 20x better than one costing 7 dollars.

Concluding this point people will generally not notice any difference between a $20 USD wax and that $100 USD high end wax you have been saving for.

Point 2: “Boutique Waxes” Do Not Last Long

Expensive car waxes generally cater to people who prepare their cars for exhibitions. Once in a while a serious car restorer might apply his most expensive wax during special occasions like weddings or impressing dates.

Some detailers know for a fact that these “boutique waxes” will not hold its gloss and shine for long. In fact a lot of car waxes that offer the wettest look for your car’s paint will attract dust like crazy. It is a common lament among novice detailers that as early as the third washing high end car waxes get stripped off.

Budget waxes on the other hand are designed more to protect than to reflect. So they do their job well and there are brands that do last for as much as 6 months. Half a year’s protection for around 5 bucks is as good as it gets.

Point 3: More Expensive Harder to Apply

Generally speaking as a car wax gets progressively more expensive it gets harder to apply. There is one popular brand for example that needs to have 3 to 4 products layered on top of each other to produce the best results. This may take several hours to complete since you have to let the product sit for as long as an hour at times.

There are also product families which do not work well when they aren’t applied with a bundle of other products. Step products are an example of this.

More expensive car wax products will be harder for a beginner to apply since getting the exact amount on the car’s surface requires experience with each product. Some products when over applied can eat up on the car’s clear coat and ruin your cars finish.

Cheaper products tend to be designed for everybody and are “idiot proof.” This makes them somewhat safer than the obscure super expensive products.

Expensive car waxes have their place in detailing. But it does not necessarily mean that they are worth their price for most people. It may surprise you to know that even the cheapest waxes do protect your car. And if you are looking for the best shine and reflections from your car you might get the best result from that product you can get over at your local gas station instead of importing it from some European country.

Find out which cheap car wax was chosen the best at Car Wax Reviews.

Article Source: [EzineArticles.com]

[EzineArticles.com]

Doug,this guy is not a idiot when he has guys like you paying these prices.
If I used this crap on a boat in salt water,it would be my last job.
If this is what you use, then I think you should keep your comments about my detailing ability to yourself.

© 2010 Car Wax Reviews
[Find my site on Google Ad Planner]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2010 11:11PM by billd55.
Re: Worlds best wax, $99 for 3ozs. It would not take me 7 years to figure out this scam.
September 04, 2010 05:48PM
And I would suspect that AT-5 would fall into that list of products too, right Bill?
Re: Worlds best wax, $99 for 3ozs. It would not take me 7 years to figure out this scam.
September 04, 2010 10:20PM
Maybe in your opinion Bud since you do not have a clue what you are talking about
on the subject of acrylic sealants.I do not make comments on subjects I do not know what I am talking about. Your stupid comment is really not required. We all know
how you feel about wax and correction, and one day when you actually use AT-5(The
one you must try), then maybe what you say may mean something.<br>

I am not promoting a product called the "World's Best Wax" and charging $33.00
an ounce for it.Of course, you have no problem with it because it's wax.
I am not a sucker who pays that kind of money for something that is worth $10.00.
This may work for car shows, but in the really world it is useless IMO.

I found this old post from 03 about you.I think it makes my point.

Re: Lets Talk About the Business of Detailing
Posted by: Dwayne@DetailCity.com (IP Logged)
Date: October 16, 2003 11:20PM

<HTML>Bud, yes I am calling you out as a basher of other companies and products that are not your own.
I think it lacks class. I think if you have cheap, second rate and bottom of the barrel ingredients in your products then you can afford to sell them cheap. Keep in mind that some chemical companies choose to buy the best possible ingredients that go into their formulas and the price with reflect the cost plus profit.

Hey, you started the thread, do you have solutions to the things that you mentioned?

These are the things that you mentioned:

" Marketing; Advertising; Operational Costs; Employee selection; training and motivation; insurance; workers comp insurance; pricing and sellling detailing to the customer. Customer service; public relations. etc."

So with so much to work with, what do you have to offer?

I'm a bit out of the loop since I do not own my own detailing business anymore.

I'm hoping to learn a bit here.</HTML>

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2010 11:46PM by billd55.
September 08, 2010 12:09PM
wax - can someone spell "WANK FACTOR"

thats all it is. I aint paying hundreds or thousands of dollars for swissvax or any of the other similar wax based products

wax still has its place but not in my shop
am with bill on this one - sealants and coatings are the best for clarity, depth and colour richness and that old saying - its all in the preparation
Car Wax is good for car and when you apply it on your Honda Cars your car will shine and look like new car.
twilight
Car Wax is good for car

How is wax good for your car? It provides zero UV protection from the sun.
If you do not wash it the right way it strips the wax which causes fine scratches
and swirls.Since wax is greasy in nature it tends collect dirt, grime, and other
things on it easier.

apply it on your Honda Cars your car will shine and look like new car.

True, it will shine like new for a very short time, and more than likely you will
add more coats of wax to maintain that new look. Although, it will not be long
before adding more wax will not work anymore, and the polisher will be needed
to restore the shine.

Using polishes or compound are not good for your car paint, nor is heat and friction from the polisher. Do this enough times and your Honda Car will not look new anymore.
Bill, no point debating with a spammer. Notice his Honda Car is a hyperlink to a website!

I disagree with you all about Carnauba waxes, btw. They are durable. You need to use the right shampoos with them and they last well. I had one on for 6 months but I wanted to try something new so I stripped it and started again.

The issue people have with them is that they are over-priced compared with cost of production. But then all car care products are over-priced compared with cost of production.
I disagree with you all about Carnauba waxes, btw. They are durable. You need to use the right shampoos with them and they last well. I had one on for 6 months but I wanted to try something new so I stripped it and started again.

Why did you want to strip it and try something new if it was durable? What is the right shampoos to use to make them last? What is your definition of durable?
I'm always trying new products, Bill. I enjoy it and its good to be able to talk with people who ask if I have tried products x, y and z to find out what I think. That's why I stripped it off the paint.

The right shampoo to use is one that is made by the company who creates the wax. They are designed to work in conjunction with and support the product on the paint. For example, if one of my clients were to purchase a Turtle Wax or Autoglym shampoo after I have applied Swissvax or Zymol or Raceglaze to it, then yes the wax will be stripped chemically.

Durable. Not sure why you need a definition of durable, Bill? Do you mean in comparison to other products or against environmental factors? Like I mentioned above, I had applied one of the natural carnaubas one day and the car was still looking fresh and beading rinse-water and rain-water 6 months later. I applied it in February and took it off in September as I wanted to try something different for the winter. The product was Swissvax Mystery, btw. : )
Profile Detailer

You say:"I'm always trying new products, Bill. I enjoy it and its good to be able to talk with people who ask if I have tried products x, y and z to find out what I think". Why not try AT-5, and then you will have a answer to this question:"Not sure why you need a definition of durable".

This statement confuses me:The right shampoo to use is one that is made by the company who creates the wax. They are designed to work in conjunction with and support the product on the paint. For example, if one of my clients were to purchase a Turtle Wax or Autoglym shampoo after I have applied Swissvax or Zymol or Raceglaze to it, then yes the wax will be stripped chemically.

According to larry's article he says:While it’s true many of the chemicals used in the formulation of car care products are the same (or at least very similar).
Really see no need to strip wax because a different wax is applied.

Beading is durability,not protection. Waxes offer zero UV protection, and will not protect the clearcoat.A quote from larry:the best way to avoid clear coat etching is too remove the environmental acid, along with the wax as soon as it’s noticed; but given enough time acid will compromise the clear coat whatever its protection.

The gurus on these forums say I am wrong when I say AT-5 provides total protection. Well, everyone tells me I am wrong,but no one is willing to try it
and see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2011 03:44PM by billd55.
Don't know Larry's Article, Bill. Shampoos are different. The best ones are based on coconut oil. Some have stronger cleaning qualities than others. Some have added carnauba or sealant to reinforce the sealant rather than strip it.

You just have to look at the amount of shampoos offered by every Detailing supplies manufacturer. They all do different things for different situations.

UV protection? OK, but you know the amount of UV protection provided by car products in general is pretty small. There are some cars that I have been putting wax onto for almost ten years and they still look fantastic. Maybe its the climate here, I don't know. I'm no UV light expert. I can only go by what I see so UV doesn't really cause me concern. Other factors do, like wash methods, environmental contamination, etc.

If I feel a car is going to suffer environmental damage, I use a different product on it rather than wax. I discuss all these things with my clients. Its simple. The right product for the right car in the right situation.
March 21, 2011 10:50PM
If I understand what someone is trying to say about car wash shampoos it is:

a. Some are designed to strip the oil film, including wax or sealant off the car,

b. Others are formulated to "not strip" the wax off the car but to simply remove
dirt.

Remember gentlemen, detail chemicals are nothing but basic chemistry, a combination of certain ingredients to achieve a desired result. That is all nothing more.

Most chemicals companies all use the same ingredients but each chemist does his own thing to achieve a result he thinks is different than another.

Remember KISS, that is the rule for detailers when it comes to chemicals.

Bud A
profiledetailer
Your quote
"If I feel a car is going to suffer environmental damage, I use a different product on it rather than wax. I discuss all these things with my clients. Its simple. The right product for the right car in the right situation".

What is the right product? In TOWGT's article he says all products are virtually the same.

Bud makes this comment:

If I understand what someone is trying to say about car wash shampoos it is:

a. Some are designed to strip the oil film, including wax or sealant off the car,

b. Others are formulated to "not strip" the wax off the car but to simply remove
dirt.

Larry you say this:

Other factors do, like wash methods, environmental contamination, etc.

Here is my point in a nutshell. There is only a few things you can discuss with your customers by using today's products. Basically, the products you offer to your customers provide very limited protection at best.

What confuses me is this statement:"I discuss all these things with my clients. Its simple. The right product for the right car in the right situation".

Maybe UV does not concern you, but I am sure many other would differ.It seems you base everything on shine and beading. What you and many others believe is that beading is protection, but it is not. Yes, it is cool to see those water droplets
on a shiny hood, but it will not stop tree sap from leaving a dark spot on the paint, or prevent acid rain etching the clear.Are you concerned about these things?

These car wash shampoos by name are a joke. Coconut oil is in them? Is that not used to cook popcorn?Why put a greasy oil into a this type of product?Please explain to me like a third grader how this works?"Others are formulated to "not strip" the wax off the car but to simply remove dirt". Now my question is this? Is all the dirt removed? My guess is no.

You can discuss with your customers about how to get their car shiny and maintain beading, and you can recommend and use products that extend that,but that is it.
Although,it will come to a point that correction will be needed, and no shampoo,
wax, or sealant will prevent it.

So I ask this question one more time. What are you really offering your customers
besides a shiny car that beads water?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2011 10:42PM by billd55.
Hey Bill what do you care what he sells his customers? You the judge and jury here? Cleave it be let him do what he wants why should he listen to you? You don't listen to those here who know more than you. Frankly speaking I wish someone else would post not you.
Hi Bud

Why do'nt you come out of the closet? We all know it is you.
LOL... Is it or isn't it Bud.

Its okay, Bill. On supercars, my primary focus is the look of the car. Wax gives gloss that synthetics don't reach. It just has a different look. Sure, it is short-lived with the cheaper waxes, but the better ones are exceptional, especially on cars that spend 95% of their life indoors and under a cover. When the owner takes them out once a month (or whatever) the car still looks fantastic.

Coconut oil for popcorn? That's like saying Teflon is for cookware.

This is my most important question, Bill. Why do you feel that correction is going to be needed with my wax where your AT5 will not need correction? PM me if you want. I know people like tear apart your posts but I think it is what you need to be most clear on because its the basic premise of your argument.

Bud, you hit the nail on the head. Each chemist will put their own twist on their shampoo to make sure it works well with the sealant that they produce. The basic ingredients may be the same, but shampoos have different pH levels so there are obviously various ingredients being added or taken away to give the end product.
April 12, 2011 03:17PM
IMO wax does nothing at all gloss wise.
I am often asked by people I know in my community, since retiring, "what should I put on my car that I can buy locally?"

Honestly, I tell them NuFinish Liquid.

It provides a polymer base, high "reflective values"-which addresses the UV concern, bounces them back, it a plus and is very durable for an easy to use, durable product, easily obtained.

It is easy for one to apply and has a very good track record.

Know a bit about it as my mentor in the business developed the formula over 30 years ago and sold it to Reed-Union who markets the product.

Despite all the "bad mouthing" of the product, by the uninformed, it is a good, long lasting, easy to use, does pretty much as advertised product.

Not a popular stance to take, I understand, but will stand by the years of proven facts.

Grumpy
Ron - Does a highly reflective surface/finish reduce damaging UV exposure? If that's true (which in no way am I doubting you) then a highly polished vehicle would not absorb as many UV rays as one that wasn't as gloss? Never thought of that.
Yup, think of a mirroe and burning ants.
Not just UV"s, but also skin tempature of the paint surface and the "fractor point" of whatever wax/sealant is on the panel, makes a big difference in how long the wax/sealant will not evaporate off, etc.
The more one can make the UV rays bounce off (relect) the less damage that may occur.
Bill-
I bet you wish I'd " keep my comments about your detailing ability to myself ". Actually, I never commented on your ability--I argued with your absurd opinion that wax causes swirls and scratches.

My personal experience has been that :
1) The best shine is obtained by polishing with Griot's Machine Polish #3 and applying at least 2 coats of Zaino Z-2 Pro. Zaino car wash concentrate helps maintain the sealant but works best with less dilution than recommended.

2) Zaino is easy to apply, lasts long, and shines great, leaving me no reason to use a carnauba wax again .

3) Pros may have different needs than I and may have tried products I haven't, so I'm not the final authority on sealants.
Doug
First, you do not have a clue what my detailing abilities are,and I would greatly appreciate stop making misstatements of things I have said.You are either stupid or cannot read.I have never said this:wax causes swirls and scratches.

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

WAX IN ITSELF DOES NOT CAUSE SWIRLS AND SCRATCHES.ALTHOUGH, THE NATURE OF WAX CAUSES IT TO BREAKDOWN BY WASHING IT WITH HARSH SOAPS.WHEN IT IS WASHED AND WIPED
DOWN IT TENDS TO CREATE THE SWIRLS AND FINE SCRATCHES.ALSO, IT ABSORBS THINGS LIKE SALT,GRIME,POLLEN, AND OTHER THINGS THAT CAUSE DULLING,

WHEN MORE WAX OR POLISHES DOES NOTHING TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM.WHAT DO DETAILERS DO?THEY STRIP THE WAX USING WHAT? A HARSH SOAP. IMO THIS DOES NOT COMPLETELY REMOVE ALL OF IT,COMPOUNDS AND POLISHES ARE USED TO FULLY REMOVE THE BUILD UP AND RESTORE THE SHINE WHICH IS THEN FOLLOWED BY MORE WAX.THUS STARTS THE CYCLE OVER AGAIN.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 10:54PM by billd55.
Bunk.
Doug did say that he uses Zaino which is a polymer sealant. He did not say that he uses wax.
Bunk

That is all you can say. Next I'm sure will come the insults.
Svr :
Pure wax provides depth and will increase gloss by filling imperfections ; A smooth surface shines more.

Waxes that contain polishing oils and such can increase gloss by "wetting down " the paint the way you make a blackboard shine if you wet it with water.
Im glad to see you back Doug.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login