Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Sealants Requiring Additives

Posted by Bud Abraham 
Sealants Requiring Additives
September 03, 2003 05:08PM
<HTML>A few weeks ago someone had commented about paint sealants that required additives to the formula to make it work.

Doing some research on this subject with mine and other detail products chemists I found out the following:

"In their opinion the additives are a marketing gimmick to simply make more money and make the product seem more effective. According to the chemists the "additive" could have been included in the original formula.

Most additives are nothing more than amino-functional silicones or silicone resins. Some even cloud up the issue by using acrylic resins, but typically the "additives" are amino-functional silicones.

This information is offered for no other reason than information. Hope it helps some of you.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Re: Sealants Requiring Additives
September 04, 2003 12:31AM
<HTML>Thank you.</HTML>
September 05, 2003 12:33PM
<HTML>Bud, thank you thank you thank you, I'm printing this one and using it in my next class, maybe these "Z" fans will come out fo their trance. I mean $20 for a thumb nail full additive? Give me a break. You got to give them credit for marketing though. they even got my $60 to try it out. I guess I'm a sucker also.</HTML>
January 25, 2007 10:54PM
This old thread has a surface logic but the chemists in question are not named and offered a blanket opinion, not allowing for a possible exception.

The paint industry makes paint that requires another agent to be added at application time so why not car wax ? There could be a reason for this extra step.

In the case of "Z", the sealant, once treated with a few drops of curing additive is only usable for about 12 hours, after which, the solution must be thrown away if not used up. Obviously, adding the extra ingredient at the factory would ruin this particular product.

"Z" is inundated with testimonials and show car users and that speaks louder than phantom chemists.
Doug
January 26, 2007 02:47AM
I bet Turtle Wax has plenty of testimonials that they would let you read from people who can't believe how well it works.

Philip
Manager of detail Depmnt, Hadwin White Buick, GMC
Myrtle Beach, SC
E-mail: philipwsuggs@hotmail.com
January 26, 2007 03:29AM
Philip-
Having visited Turtle Wax's site, I can assure you that they have nowhere near the testimonials that Zaino does unless they keep them secret. If you are really eager to try Turtle Wax, their T-6 Carnauba is rated #2 by Consumer Reports and available from Dollar General at $5 a pint ( Best of all, there are no additional ingredients you'll have to mix in before application ! )

In the above thread, you find two businessmen who sell sealants of their own, knocking a competitor. I hope you don't mind if I take issue with the mystery chemists.
Doug
January 26, 2007 06:57PM
Philip-
You don't see many forum member giving testimonials like this one, except for Zaino :
Re: Zaino?
Posted by: melissa G (IP Logged)
Date: November 05, 2004 08:10PM

<HTML>when me and my son were walking back to the car it was like it had a glow that danced from the chrome rims "Did in the Zaino also" to the front and back bumpers...almost like there was truely a magic glow from the car..So I will say that for a show car that will be displayed under flourescent lights there isnt a combo out there that compares for the money that I have used ...but for a every day driver its to much work for to much money period!!You can say this and that about Zaino but if I were entering my Vette at a car show it wouldnt have Klass or 5 star or DiamondPlus on it ...it would be Zainos combo .... unless I'm wet sanding then thats another story ..ha ha ha</HTML>
January 26, 2007 07:13PM
Here is a posting from the past that argues for "boutique products" :

Re: Bud had a point
Posted by: wayne (IP Logged)
Date: April 13, 2003 11:13PM

Bub...,
You must constantly disagree with something..., unless you say it..., it is wrong.

I gave my view point AFTER TESTING the products THEY recommended.

I was trying to be nice to you..., but you just can't keep from trying to stir something up...., can you.

The reason the "boutique products" as you call them are priced higher..., it has been my experience with the waxes and sealers, that they are HIGHER QUALITY.

( excerpt of a post by WAYNE )
February 11, 2007 08:26PM
Gentlemen-
Zaino has just come out with two new products : a " clear seal " that appears to be a set-and-forget sealant and an " all-in-one " that appears to be a one-step product. Neither seems to require the ZFX additive, which should please the critics above. Visit www.zainostore.com to read the press release. A guy on Autopia has already tested these two products.
Doug
December 20, 2007 06:18PM
Members :
The following is from the Web site of Militec 1, a line of lubricants for automotive and other uses. These excerpts deal with unfair testing and disparaging of products :
" 4. Internet Forums: Pay close attention to the way a company uses Internet forums. Are the owners up all hours of the night promoting their own product? Do they always promote their own product when a competitive product is mentioned? Do their forum buddies warn them to jump online when another product is praised? Do they criticize anyone who doesn’t agree with them? Do they use selected forum postings as evidence for their product? Are their postings lengthy compared to everyone else’s, designed to over-kill their opposition?

Other Internet ‘Snake Oil” Scams include using Internet “buddies” on public forums to attack competitors and promote their friend’s product. Some companies actually encourage employees, families, friends and their sponsored associates to use aliases and vague titles to trash competing products. The company then uses those contrived forum postings as evidence to make other products look bad...

6. Testing Competitors’ Products: Be extremely wary when a company runs backyard tests on its competitors’ products. They usually have a hidden agenda and construct the tests in such a way that the competing products will always look bad. The problem is that there were no unbiased, third-party observers allowed in their backyard during their non-standardized testing.

It’s easy to make any product look bad if you know a few tricks. For example, is the product full strength or diluted? Is it even the authentic product at all? Is the product fresh, from a sealed container, or was it allowed to sit for an extended period with the cap removed to allow moisture to collect? Were the application instructions followed accurately? Is the product being tested in an application it is not intended for? Internet picture can be deceptive.

Folks who test their competitors’ products will suggest it’s to educate the consumer. In other words, they want you to trust them so that you will also trust their own product by association. However, if you do, your trust may be misplaced. It’s obvious they are trying to sell their own product by capitalizing on another product’s good name. Is this the type of person you want to trust? When a competitor attacks another product, it’s because they can’t compete fairly and are insecure that their marketing campaigns are not working. "
For more information, visit www.militec1.com
Happy Holidays,
Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login