Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Posted by Michael R. Fife 
December 19, 2003 02:57AM
I just realized a 39 year old dream, fed my mid life crisis and bought a 1964 GTO.
It has original steel rims with spinner hubcaps. I really appreciate the accurate wheels, but I also want a 2nd set of "beefier" wheels and rims.
Can anyone tell me how wide (7 or 8 ) I can go with a Rallye I wheel and what size redline radial for maximum rubber on the road without wheel well rubbing issues?
Thank you one and all for any input!
Mike
Re: New Member
December 22, 2003 04:57PM
I'm not sure if the 64 wheel clearance is different from the 67, which is what I've got. I've got the rallye I style wheels, 15 X 8 with 245/60R15 tires in the back, and 225/60R15's in the front. I had tried bigger for the front but they would ruf on the wheel moldings during certain turns. Also, I believe you have drum brakes front and back so caliper clearance shouldn't be a problem. Incidentally, when I changed from the red line bias ply tires to the bigger radials, ride and handling improved 300%.
January 04, 2004 01:18AM
Mike,
Thanks for your input.

Please accept my apology for the delayed response.
I went on Christmas/ New Year's vacation on Dec. 20th and just got back today.
I will pose your sizes to the Rep at Diamond Back tires, to see what he thinks.

What brand red lines did you buy?
January 04, 2004 01:01PM
Hey Mike G.....do you have disc brakes on the front of your 67...I was looking to upgrade to 15" inch rims and tires on my 67... I have drum brakes now with 14" rally II rims.....would like to do the rims and tires now with a brake upgrade in the near future.....any thoughts........I also have a 69 chevelle and I'm running the same tire config you are on your 67......
Mike Fife - new gto member
January 04, 2004 03:24PM
Mike, you can discuss tires and wheels forever with gto fans. Best place to call for any tire or wheel related issues with gtos: Coker Tire, in Tennesseee. They are the gurus of vintage cars, tires and wheels.
Also, strongly consider getting a set of steel belted radial red line tires from them (no one else makes them but Coker!). Your 64 will ride and handle 100% better. Check out Coker at their name on the web.
Mike Hrabovsky
mhrabovsky1@comcast.net
Re: Mike Fife - new gto member
January 04, 2004 04:19PM
Mike H:
Thanks for the input. I will contact Coker ASAP.
Re: Mike Fife - new gto member
January 07, 2004 12:22PM
To Greg M, yes my car has discs on the front and drums on the back. The only problem I had is when I first tried to put 245/60R-15 on the front, the tire would rub on the fender molding on hard turns, not regular slow turns. I never tried the 235/60R15, it may have also worked. Incidentally, I'm now thinking of upgrading the rear drum brakes to discs. What's the point of going fast if you can't stop !! Incidentally, I also have a 69 427 corvette that has the 15"x8" wheels, and also shares the same bolt pattern of 5 lug with 4-3/4" circle. I tried to put the Corvette wheels on the GTO to see if they would fit, and they did but the backset is different, didn't look right. Corvette is 4" whereas the GTO is 4-1/2". Conversely, the GTO wheels did not fit the Corvette due to trailing arm interference.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login